Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2017 13:42:02(UTC)
chris42

What are people views on E-learning for an abrasive wheel course. I did the training myself about 30 years ago and to be honest the practical side was limited to “ringing the wheel” and the feel of tightening up the retaining nut and the like. By the way We only have bench / pedestal grinders and hand held, no surface or cylindrical grinder type machines.

A significant amount of the information is non-practical based ie information on storage, handling, markings and hazards & risks arising

But still a little uneasy about E Learning.

Although it is supposed to cover things like how to assemble, dressing the wheel, rest adjustment etc

Has anyone selected this method of training and found it good or poor?

Chris

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2017 19:51:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Weren't the abrasive wheel regulations transferred in to PUWER?

Seem to recall a debate with a consultant who was insistent we needed an abrasive wheels poster adjacent to our bench grinder until they were shown it was withdrawn on the legislation web site (which is also why no one was selling them any more)

E learning is only an aid to practical training using either the manufacturer instruction, or better still in house training provided by the manufacturer

We tried both, the employee feed back was more positive when the manufacturer came to site

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2017 19:51:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Weren't the abrasive wheel regulations transferred in to PUWER?

Seem to recall a debate with a consultant who was insistent we needed an abrasive wheels poster adjacent to our bench grinder until they were shown it was withdrawn on the legislation web site (which is also why no one was selling them any more)

E learning is only an aid to practical training using either the manufacturer instruction, or better still in house training provided by the manufacturer

We tried both, the employee feed back was more positive when the manufacturer came to site

chris42  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2017 08:21:58(UTC)
chris42

Thanks, Roundtuit interesting feedback on your experience.

Yes, PUWER did replace the Abrasive wheels regs, but still appropriate to train the individuals as per HSE guidance and suggested content of training.

According to the various E Learning web sites I looked at, their learning outcome appeared to list everything I would expect and what the HSE guidance mentions. But as with all E Learning no actual practical element. 

On the other hand, joe Blogs can go and buy a bench grinder for home use and change the wheels to their hearts content without any training. So is E Learning sufficient.

In comparison, a physical course content I looked at included how to write a risk assessment -  really! I just want the person to be able to change the wheels properly and safely etc. Don’t need or want padding in the training, to justify costs.

I was just wondering if others had chosen this route and regretted it or if it did what it needed to? Would others be happy to recommend E Learning for this, I’m trying to make a more informed decision, not based on it being easier and cheaper.

Chris

David68  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2017 17:22:38(UTC)
David68

I had the same choice in my last role.  What it comes down to is in the event of an accident, would you be happy to stand in front of a judge and say that the eLearning was sufficient to ensure that the operator was competent and that you could manange the foreseeable risks with this training.  

I dd not feel comfortable so required that our operators took a practical training course that included some practial work and some kind of assessment of competency.  

Have you spoken to your insurance company because they may well have an opinion. 

Dave

Brian Campbell  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2017 09:19:14(UTC)
Brian Campbell

This was raised by our external auditors a while ago when they were reviewing my RA for our skate sharpening machine as we have 750 pairs of boots for public ice skating.  When she queried me on abrasive wheel training I explained that we had looked into but found it dificult to find someone locally who could call to our premises and train staff.  I did however ask her was there really any benefit to additional training other than spending time with my staff going over the machine and doing a step by step tool box demonstration on what the manufacturers instruction where for the machine anyway.  And from doing this task this is were we got our RAMS from for operating and control measures.  She had to agree that by at least going solely by manufacturers guidance we were doing enough to ensure suitable and suiffiecient arrangements were inplace for opertaing and maintaining the equipment.

Apart of me keeps thinking that E-learning and Specific training is only out there so companies can make money out of us for training requirements when theres a really good source direct from the manufacturers!!! 

chris42  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2017 10:11:48(UTC)
chris42

Thanks David & Brian 

Yes, decided to continue down the practical course route at the moment. But considering bringing it in house. The ACOP is clear on what the training course should cover. I admit the E Learning would have been convenient ( not just cheaper). If brought in house it could be given more easily to a wider group of people and so allow for holidays, people leaving / new starters etc and generally be more flexible. These tools are not in everyday use, but when needed they need to be ready.

Still unsure about E Learning, but you can now gain H&S qualifications that route. 

Thanks

Hsquared14  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2017 14:07:34(UTC)
Hsquared14

For this sort of thing you can't beat the hands on in the flesh training.   You need to feel how tight everything needs to be and trying it out for yourself whilst being guided by a trainer is essential.  I would only use elearning if I thought someone needed a reminder but even so I think I'd be more likely to call in somebody to a practical course.