Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harley1  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2017 17:23:11(UTC)
harley1

Hi All,

First time I've ever used this forum, I've been a Chartered Member for a good few years now and would like to know how to go to the next level, I can't seem to find anything that tells you what you have to do to achieve Fellow level, can anyone advise please?

lorna  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2017 07:17:19(UTC)
lorna

Why?

I've been Chartered since it first came in & don't intend going further - my status is well recognised (I've worked with Chartered engineers, accountants, EHPs). Ok, it's a personal opinion but what would Fellow give me that Chartered doesn't?

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2017 07:50:47(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi harley1,

To answer your question rather than giving you my opinion. It is by application. You need to be a chartered member of at least 5 years standing. If you go to this page: https://www.iosh.co.uk/M...mbership-categories.aspx and click on the membership categories link which will give you more information.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
harley1 on 14/07/2017(UTC)
harley1  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 08:00:41(UTC)
harley1

Apologies I wasn't asking this question for a debate, I just wanted to find out the answer and now I have so thank you for the link, I thought I had looked everywhere!

billstrak  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2017 03:39:01(UTC)
billstrak

Harley,

I applied and was interviewed last year but unfortunately I never progressed to "Fellow".

What I really failed to grasp was the fact that everything you do as part of your day to day job is not what the panel want or need to hear.

It is all about what you can bring to H&S over and above your day job. Activities or roles such as local IOSH branch positions or sittinng on various H&S related boards can help greatly.

Good luck if you decide to go down the path

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2017 08:34:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A fellow would be someone who does something for the benefit of the H&S profession as a whole, not just themselves or their employer. Being active in IOSH is one way, being involved in various industrial or government advisory groups is another. It could be based on your academic work around H&S (papers published, research done etc). You need to show leadership in H&S above and beyond the norm.  

SHV  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2017 11:51:49(UTC)
SHV

What you have done after achieving Chartered level is important to panel .e.g.:

How you made contribution to the IOSH branch meetings ,

How you have been involved in charity works?

How you improved your technical knowledge?  Attending Technical Courses, Published Article in Magazines, Conducted research work, did you go further to get Msc or Phd?

How you improved less experienced people in OHS? Did you assist them to get higher level?

If you need further data, PM me

SHV

Ian Bell2  
#8 Posted : 15 September 2017 13:21:24(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Basically its the 'Old Boys network' at work. Not what you know, but who you know.

David Bannister  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2017 15:16:16(UTC)
David Bannister

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Basically its the 'Old Boys network' at work. Not what you know, but who you know.

Ian, I think that's rather unfair, coming from a non-member. Whilst progress to Fellow grade may well involve knowing a good number of other members, some of who may themselves be Fellows, I do not believe that any "old boy" will be able to achieve that step up without having contributed greatly to the profession, regardless of who they may know.

There are also (I believe) female Fellows too. 

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2017 15:49:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: David Bannister Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Ian, I think that's rather unfair, coming from a non-member. Whilst progress to Fellow grade may well involve knowing a good number of other members, some of who may themselves be Fellows, I do not believe that any "old boy" will be able to achieve that step up without having contributed greatly to the profession, regardless of who they may know.

There are also (I believe) female Fellows too. 

My current boss is a fellow. I don't think she belongs to any old boys network!

Zyggy  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2017 18:45:13(UTC)
Zyggy

Ian, your comments in no way reflect reality! There has always been a myth that just by getting involved in Branch meetings it meant that you were automatically made a Fellow. I used to sit on & often Chair many Fellowship Panels & I can assure you that there are strict guidelines laid down by IOSH that we had to follow. We interviewed many female candidates who were successful. Zyggy CFIOSH....and proud of it! PS Never been part of any old boys network!