Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikeeeeeboy  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2017 14:43:16(UTC)
mikeeeeeboy

Good Afternoon , 

I am having a hard time understanding what workplace equipment should be assessed for PUWER Regs , woiuld anyone have a generic list i could work off  to help me with this 

Any assistance would much appreciated 

Cheers Mike 

DaveBridle  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2017 15:09:43(UTC)
DaveBridle

I would start by reading the ACoP on PUWER (http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l22.htm).  This will tell you what you have to do.

In short equipment that the employer provides to their employees to undertake their work is included, however there are certain exemptions and inclusions, hence reading the ACoP first.

jwk  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2017 13:58:51(UTC)
jwk

While Dave is technically correct, a certaain amount of risk thinking is appropriate. Theoretically PUWER would apply to a pencil or a mouse mat; these are examples of equipment provided for work. However, before bothering with PUWER it is appropriate to consider the likely harm that might arise from use or accidental misuse of the equipment. In other words: could this, in normal use, hurt somebody? If the answer is yes then PUWER in full should be applied. If the answer is no I really wouldn't bother,

John

Tomkins26432  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:16:51(UTC)
Tomkins26432

We use a system of reasonableness, resulting in things like pencils and desk staplers not being included in a PUWER list. Them we have decided to continue PAT testing every year for all of our 'plug-in' office kit, this generates a PUWER list for that kit. Into the workshops we have a blanket PUWER requirement for hand tools, electical tools are listed seperately and have PUWER 'owners' and out self powered kit is used and maintained completely to PUWER Regs. I hope that helps?

Invictus  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:56:25(UTC)
Invictus

You have to consider use for both normal and abnormal use. so don't poke yourself in the eye with the pencil as this is not what is is intended for.

jwk  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2017 11:01:19(UTC)
jwk

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post

You have to consider use for both normal and abnormal use. so don't poke yourself in the eye with the pencil as this is not what is is intended for.

This is true, but I've always thought of this as being abnormal use for work, e.g using a screwdriver to lever lids off paint tins, rather than use for gratuitous self-harm ;-)

Edited by user 19 July 2017 11:01:55(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Invictus  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2017 11:17:38(UTC)
Invictus

Don't disagree with you there it's just that it is something to consider, i.e. warming up a pie with a bunsen burner and burning yourself, or by passing guarding etc.