Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tolshar  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2017 11:42:34(UTC)
tolshar

I work for a Utilities company and the majority of our guys use the long wooden handled Cornish Shovels.

Some of our customers want all of our tools (including our shovels) to be 'shock proof' and comply with BS8020:2011. We can do this with every tool except for the Cornish Shovels.

Some people say that the long wooden handled Cornish Shovel already complies with BS8020 but I want to be absolutely sure and I don't want to spend a small fortune on purchasing a copy of BS8020:2011 just to be sure.

Even if I did buy the BS, I am not sure that it will answer my query as what I really want to know is will the wooden handle withstand a shock of 1000 volts? It might when it's bone dry but does it comply when its wet for example?

Can any one help?