Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2017 08:36:13(UTC)
JL

I’ve have just seen an email from an asbestos removals company were they said artex can contain amosite and as such they would need to inform the HSE of the removal task should it test positive for amosite.

I’m not sure if the contractors are pulling a fast one or if this was a gap in my knowledge, is that true, I was under the impression that that only white asbestos was used in artex.

thistlethwaite120  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2017 09:17:59(UTC)
thistlethwaite120

Hi James,

Have a look at the link below regarding a government white paper regarding changes to legislation for working with ACM,s, look at part 15 which confirms that crysotile was the only material put in Artex by the manufatacturers, is someone trying to guild the lily!!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/iacs/acts/watch/010206/paper1.pdf;

thanks 1 user thanked thistlethwaite120 for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 19/07/2017(UTC)
RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:44:01(UTC)
RayRapp

I have never come across Amosite in artex ceilings either. Moreover, I was not aware that Amosite per se was a criteria for Notifiable asbestos removal work.

JohnW  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2017 16:31:07(UTC)
JohnW

James, this from the HSE site

Quote:

To determine whether the work you are doing is classified as notifiable non-licensed work (NNLW), check the NNLW information.

Once you have confirmed the work is NNLW, you need to notify it to the relevant enforcing authority. Do this online, via a computer or Smartphone, at the online notifications form. All three possible enforcing authorities can be notified via this route. This is the only method of notification - you can't notify by phone or post;

Notice should be given before the work starts - there is no minimum notice period. You do not need to wait for permission to permission from the enforcing authority - the database will provide a PDF copy of your notification. If you are a licensed asbestos contractor carrying out NNLW work, you will still need to notify.

If the link doesn't work it is:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/licensing/notifiable-non-licensed-work.htm

No mention of amosite. The section on 'asbestos types' says:

Example of notifiable non-licensed work (NNLW) with asbestos

• large-scale removal of textured decorative coatings using steaming or gelling methods (eg beyond that required for maintenance activities such as installation/replacement of smoke alarms and fittings)

John

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
JL on 20/07/2017(UTC)
chas  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2017 08:08:03(UTC)
chas

I am not aware of amosite being put in to 'Artex', however if it is an old building please be mindful of the possibility that the ceiling itself could be made up of asbestos insulation board (AIB) and, if so, that material will probably contain amosite. You might need to check and satisfy yourself that all is OK. If the work involves the removal of or damage to any AIB ceiling panels the work will then need to be carried out by a licenced contractor and will probably be notifiable.   

thanks 1 user thanked chas for this useful post.
JL on 20/07/2017(UTC)
Sargeant23180  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2017 11:02:28(UTC)
Sargeant23180

During surveys I have done I have never myself come across amosite in artex itself, although as previously mentioned it may be contained in the product to which the artex has been applied.

As part of a survey surley there should be some sampling and reports to support this claim?

thanks 1 user thanked Sargeant23180 for this useful post.
JL on 20/07/2017(UTC)
peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2017 12:57:45(UTC)
peter gotch

Needs an intrusive survey and analysis, which prove or disprove what, if any, asbestos in the artex.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
JL on 20/07/2017(UTC)
sibob  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2017 08:45:43(UTC)
sibob

I would be very suspecious of the claim that there is amosite in the artex as only chrysotile was used.  If amosite has been found in the sample then the celing itself could be ACM and more than likly AIB.  If this is the case then it would need removing by  a licenced contractor and fall under the 14 day notification procedure. If the artex contains asbestos then removal should be carried out by a fully insured and trained contractor as notifiable non licenced removal works. The whole room has to be sheeted out (all other areas protected) put under negative pressure and notified to the local HSE under CAR2012.  the notificatin has to be done before the job starts (no particular time limit on when before)

thanks 1 user thanked sibob for this useful post.
JL on 24/07/2017(UTC)
dennish  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2017 11:45:51(UTC)
dennish

Am i missing something here, i agree with other regarding amosite in artex.if you have engaged an asbestos removal company then you  surely you would have already established through an intrusive suvey what ACM's has been identified hense an asbestos removal contractor being engaged and not a general contractor.