Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JHF  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2017 09:11:16(UTC)
JHF

Hi all, RIDDOR again, if an operative spills a flask of hot water (tea) and is off for a few weeks (scalded / blistered etc) - is this RIDDOR reportable? Obviously he is not employed as a tea maker re "Work Related."

Elfin Davy 09  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2017 09:53:14(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Did the work that the employee was doing at the time of the incident play a "significant role" in him spilling the flask of hot water, or was it just a simple spillage unrelated to any work he is employed to do ? 

If it's the former, then - as he's been off work a while - it is more than likely reportable under RIDDOR (although obviously without the full details it's difficult to say with absolute certainty). 

However, if it's the latter (and he simply spilled his tea at break time) then it's probably not a RIDDOR incident.

Edited by user 28 July 2017 09:54:58(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

JHF  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2017 10:05:51(UTC)
JHF

Hi, thanks for the response, hot water was spilt at rest break.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2017 10:07:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Is tea making part of their job? If it is (even if it is just implied that they are expected to make the tea for the boss let's say) then it becomes reportable. But if they are just making themselves a brew and scald themselves then it is not.

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2017 10:52:32(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think the fact that he was on his break and therefore not "at work" is crucial here.  So I would say it isn't work related and therefore not reportable.  Back in the 1980s where I work we had a spate of people (mainly secretaries) scald themselves with hot water from a kettle (won't bore with the details) but as they were making the drinks for meetings / visitors we counted it as work related.

JHF  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2017 12:17:20(UTC)
JHF

Thanks - seems to be if not "work related," doesn`t come under RIDDOR.

Melrose80086  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2017 13:36:04(UTC)
Melrose80086

Were they making the tea for a visitor? if so, could argue that it's work related I guess but otherwise I'd agree that if it's in their own time and not related to the work they normally do it's not work related so not reportable.

SW  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2017 08:26:41(UTC)
SW

Not reportable

JHF  
#9 Posted : 03 August 2017 08:25:37(UTC)
JHF

Thanks for all responses.