Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WatsonD  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2017 07:01:42(UTC)
WatsonD

Help please. I have just returned to work this morning and in one of my emails a contractor is citing that the maximum lifting load has changed from 25kg to 20kg - is this correct, and if so where can I access this?

Thanks in advance.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2017 07:23:19(UTC)
RayRapp

The so-called maximum lifting load has only been a benchmark which has been used for convenience largely because bags of cement, stones, etc tend to come in a 25Kg bag.  There is nothing written in stone (sorry for the pun) which relates to any specific weight because what a person can comfortably lift will depend on a number of variables. The HSE have various tools on their website which explains the vagaries of manual handling.

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2017 07:44:05(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks Ray,

I was just worried that I had missed something, and didn't want to spend half a day trying to prove something doesn't exist.