Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kinning  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2017 18:10:12(UTC)
kinning

Does anyone know of any guidelines as to how many guide dogs can travel in a minibus at anyone time.

Whilst I have carried out a risk assessment for guide dogs in a bus regarding restraints etc,  I have been asked the question is there a legal limit as to how many can travel at anyone time.

Thanks

SNS  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2017 20:02:58(UTC)
SNS

Not seen anything published except in the highway code, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58 but that is general and about restraint being needed. No tags to law in that section though.

Probably related to the number of passengers in the mini-bus at the time requiring the dogs and sufficient safe restraint or enclosure, unless you are transporting the dogs without their handlers? 

Invictus  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2017 06:51:06(UTC)
Invictus

Wouldn't you have to take the elephants out first : ) or was that a mini?

watcher  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2017 09:30:01(UTC)
watcher

I would have thought this was precisely the sort of situation that risk assessments were meant for.

I know that every minibus has a person capacity, based on the size and numbers of seat.  Maybe Guide Dogs, the charity, could provide some information.

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2017 11:29:14(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Is one of the dogs driving? Have the correct class of licence? Sorry couldn't resist....

wjp62  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2017 11:49:39(UTC)
wjp62

Ian A-H  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2017 06:55:17(UTC)
Ian  A-H

I agree with Watcher, assess the risks and make your decision. I think it highly unlikely there is legislation on the subject. I would treat them the same as human passengers - one per seat. So if the assistance dogs are with their owners: half the number of seats each. Obviously, as said before, they will need to be restrained. This is your maximum, then I would look at the needs of the owners, whether carers are to be carried etc and adjust accordingly.