Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Adams29600  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2017 09:05:28(UTC)
Adams29600

So after many years, Big Ben and the tower need a major refurbishment.

According to the press, silencing the bell for the duration of the works is 'elf n safety gone mad as even the Germans couldn't stop it chiming.

Rather destroy the workers' hearing and then get pilloried by the same press for not protecting them. Not sure how loud or what frequency Big Ben is when you are right next to it, but I would imagine its not very pleasant.

One of the major news items of the day apparently.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2017 09:12:44(UTC)
RayRapp

I read the article front page on the Daily Wail, irresponsible reporting in my view but what else can you expect from the tabloid press - blame 'elf and safety for everything. Strange but following the Grenfell Tower fire 'elf and safety was the best thing since sliced bread!

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2017 15:08:35(UTC)
Hsquared14

I suppose if they are employing Quasimodo to do the work they will be OK as the bells sent him deaf years ago!  The people who write these newspaper articles really ought to engage their brains before touching a keyboard.