Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2017 09:56:44(UTC)
JL

We have a big bill coming our way for upgrading the companies fire protection measures (rented business premises), I know that this upgrade is to meet legal requirements but I can’t find the legislation that refers specifically to landlords responsibilities.

I haven’t seen the leasing agreement yet but I’m sure that as this was the state of the building when we moved in it must fall on the landlord to repair (just cant seem to find it in law, or a case study) Any help would be appreciated

SteveL  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2017 10:05:11(UTC)
SteveL

Who is the responsable person, the landlord or the occupier. Who has control of the building. It is the legal duty of the responsible person regarding fire safety.

djupnorth  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2017 12:32:39(UTC)
djupnorth

James, Who is responsible for repairs/upgrades will normally depend on the terms of the lease.  It is normally the case that commercial leases are taken out on a 'full repairing' basis, in which case the tenant is responsible for all repairs and for keeping the building compliant with current legislation.  However, if properly drafted the lease will set out exactly what the landlord and the tenant are responsible for.

Regards. DJ

thanks 1 user thanked djupnorth for this useful post.
JL on 17/08/2017(UTC)