Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jasonkav  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2017 09:02:30(UTC)
jasonkav

what are the requirements for the inspection of a 'temporary' scaffold platform that is used for viewing sporting events?

in construction i would assume 7 day minimum or affective events, high winds etc.

the 'temporary' structure has been in situ for 4yrs +

any advice would be appreciated.

Height 3.0m  width 1.2m with ladder access and double handrail, securely enclosed.

Edited by user 17 August 2017 09:04:28(UTC)  | Reason: additional info

Shopland23872  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2017 09:38:32(UTC)
Shopland23872

As it is for the sole purpose of people standing on it, it would be the same requirements as scaffolding work platforms used in construction. So it would need to be inspected and recorded every seven days by a competent person.
Waz  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2017 10:06:16(UTC)
Waz

My questions is if the structure is tagged in any way, to determine if it is fit for use or otherwise e.g. scafftagged. Any temporary structure needs to be inspected to determine if it is fit for purpose. The original design requirement would have been to establish safe support for a number of personnel, this would be a special design, with calculations determined to support a given number of personnel in a particular way. Therefore, you would have the requirement to inspect (Safety Inspection for Sports Stadia / LA) would also be interested in this structure. So yes, inspection is essential, else how are you to prove the safety of spectators?
achrn  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2017 10:07:15(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Shopland23872 Go to Quoted Post
As it is for the sole purpose of people standing on it, it would be the same requirements as scaffolding work platforms used in construction. So it would need to be inspected and recorded every seven days by a competent person.

What requires that?

Regulation 12 (4)  of WAH regs 2005, which is the origin of the usual seven days requirement, explicitly applies to a working platform used for construction work.  This platform (it seems) is neither a working platform (it is not used as a place of work or as a means of access to or egress from a place of work) nor is it used for construction.

I agree it would be prudent to have an inspection regime.  I'm disputing that there is a requirement that this is every seven days.  (Even if it did apply, it doesn't actually require inspection every seven days, only within the previous seven days of any use - so if it's used once a month, that only requries an inspection once a month).

The IStructE guide "Temporary demountable structures;  Guidance on procurement, design and use" advocates that there be an erection check by a competent person once the erection is complete, but is quite non-specific about subsequent inspections, stating only "It is recommended that a competent person inspect each structure while it is in use; the frequency of the inspection depending on the nature of the event. If a structure remains in use for a reasonable period of  time (for example, for a series of concerts at a festival), it should be inspected before and after each use."

TommyH  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2017 12:37:15(UTC)
TommyH

If allowing more than 7 days to pass before its next inspection, I'd be inclined to 'tag-out' the scaffold until the next intended use and inspection.

Shopland23872  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2017 14:36:52(UTC)
Shopland23872

TG20:13 does infact cover spectator terraces and seating stands, as a "design scaffold" and the seven day rule still applies, even though it is not used in any construction format.

the HSE link is below for you.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/scaffoldinginfo.htm

Edited by user 18 August 2017 14:43:02(UTC)  | Reason: I forgot to add the HSE link

achrn  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2017 16:09:07(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Shopland23872 Go to Quoted Post

TG20:13 does infact cover spectator terraces and seating stands, as a "design scaffold" and the seven day rule still applies, even though it is not used in any construction format.

the HSE link is below for you.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/scaffoldinginfo.htm

TG20 is not statute.  

Is there a statutory requirement for inspection of scaffolds that are not workplaces?  I don't think there is - in the occasional previous discussions on the forums, no-one has ever shown me a statute requiring it.

That whole HSE page is predicated, in my opinion, that the scaffold is a workplace - it starts out "It is a requirement of the Work at Height Regulations...".  The regs explicitly apply to WORK at height, not to simply being at height (regulation 3).

As such, while the scaffold is being erected (by workers), I would agree that WAH regs apply.  Once they've finished, I maintain that it's not a workplace (unless, for example, it was used by a commentator or cameraman who was at work) and the WAH do not apply.  If the WAH regs do not apply, there is no statutory requirement for regular inspection (as far as I know - if I'm wrong and it exists, please cite it).

boblewis  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2017 19:02:39(UTC)
boblewis

Go back to the basic duties under HASAWA and the duty to people not in your employ.  You need too establish a process with the designers of the stand that sets out how the stand should be maintained / inspected.  This may be every 7 days for inspection or simply the days on which it is intended to be used.  Problems of specific legislation I am afraid

ADALE  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2017 06:37:00(UTC)
ADALE

Jasonkav,

as an ex-scaffolder, I'm struggling to imagine this as a tube and fitting scaffold, plus I don't know if you specified viewing for spectators or camera crew etc. So the 'work' content may prove important. Is it a Layher or similar proproetary system configued to create a 'stand'?

In previous discussions of similar nature, I thought work at height regulations applied and was adamant. Someone once threw an element of confusion about determining the difference between Temporary Works, of which almost all scaffolding is, and Permanent Works i.e. permanent access for non-workers (maybe in your case). 

With this detail missing it's hard to tell. So apply caution, you can't fall foul of regulation non-compliance and potential injury if you're following them. Let the bean counters argue once you've done your job. 

James Robinson  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2017 12:52:33(UTC)
James Robinson

As per boblewis. But also check to see if you are covered by any type of licence from the local authority - they often contain clauses about temp structures.

Lawlee45239  
#11 Posted : 22 August 2017 09:26:35(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Originally Posted by: jasonkav Go to Quoted Post

what are the requirements for the inspection of a 'temporary' scaffold platform that is used for viewing sporting events?

in construction i would assume 7 day minimum or affective events, high winds etc.

the 'temporary' structure has been in situ for 4yrs +

any advice would be appreciated.

Height 3.0m  width 1.2m with ladder access and double handrail, securely enclosed.

Seen as it is in place 4+ years, I dont think it can be classed as 'temporary' . If the structure were to fall, and the HSE investigate, what can you give them as evidence to show that this structure was fit for purpose?

I would either set up a weekly inspection schedule, or query the sporting facility to see if a permanent structure would be more suitable in the long run.

douglas.dick  
#12 Posted : 22 August 2017 12:42:45(UTC)
douglas.dick

I would think it would be best to make this a permanent structure by having the structure tag welded together. This would ensure that the structure cannot be dismantled easily. The inspection regime would then be minimised.