Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
michaelt  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2017 13:16:14(UTC)
michaelt

I have had a reported incident whare a contractors has tripped and fallen on site.

He is blaming the stone (gravel) surface.

Is there a specification for stoned up surfaces?

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2017 13:29:40(UTC)
Hsquared14

Loose gravel is not the easiest surface to walk on and if you are in a boot with steel midsole (no flexibility) keeping your balance if the gravel shifts under foot can be hard.  Loose materials shouldn't be used on walking routes /  areas of loose fill shouldn't be used as walking routes if routes with a solid surface are available. I don't think you will find standards available for it - this is just the voice of experience talking.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2017 22:00:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

He might blame the site - what did the investigation conclude? Old boots, undone laces, post liquid lunch, onset vertigo/inner ear infections.... Thorough investigations have a positive effect in heading off spurious claims

Edited by user 19 September 2017 22:01:14(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2017 22:00:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

He might blame the site - what did the investigation conclude? Old boots, undone laces, post liquid lunch, onset vertigo/inner ear infections.... Thorough investigations have a positive effect in heading off spurious claims

Edited by user 19 September 2017 22:01:14(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2017 08:42:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In the past I always found gravel paths easier to walk on than solid paths.  At my last place the architects included acres of York stone paving which becomes dangerous when wet.  Gravel drains the excess water and does not allow for the growth of algae.

grim72  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2017 10:01:08(UTC)
grim72

Just as an aside, as someone that has a gravel pathway at home and who needs to drag his wheelie bins across it every week - it might be worth giving thought to the pros/cons the surface offers in terms of movement of materials across site too. Trust me, a full bin of garden waste is not easyto move across gravel (I'll get around to replacing it eventually though) :-)

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2017 10:24:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The secret of gravel paths is that they need to be maintained ie the gravel has to be periodically replaced and the base serviced (is that the right word?)