Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david cole  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2017 09:10:41(UTC)
david cole

I am struggling to find any guidance on the frequency with which we should carry out checks on apprentices workplacements. (We are an FE College.) 

We have a system for checking the apprentice and ensuring their progression, but it is more to do with how often that we should check the working conditions etc of the actual workplace. 

We will have different levels of risk regarding these workplaces (everything from small offices, to large warehouses, and construction sites.) 

Does anyone have any experience in this or can give me a steer on frequency of checks?? 

Thanks

lorna  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2017 11:39:34(UTC)
lorna

I'm going to a meeting with our workplace assessors on Thursday (FE College here too) - I'll ask them how often they go.

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
david cole on 03/10/2017(UTC)
desertwellie  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2017 14:56:05(UTC)
desertwellie

In the early 2000's I worked in a FE college as an NVQ assessor, and then as a H&S Advisor, where it was my job to vet all our prospective placement providers initially, and then assign a risk rating/monitoring schedule dependent on my observations.

Unacceptable category placements would not have apprentices placed with them until improvements were made, high risk would be revisited 3 monthly, medium risk - 6 monthly, and low risk - annually.  In between these 'formal' monitoring visits, the assessors would check the H&S requirements and report any concerns back to the H&S team.

Placement providers could go up or down the risk levels dependent on the observations carried out by the H&S or the assessing teams.

Please see the PM I sent you.

Hope this helps.