Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2017 12:19:04(UTC)
chris42

Hi all

I have an unusual situation with some internal fire doors. We have some doors where we want to restrict access unless it is a real emergency through part of the day, however later in the day we want people to have free access through the doors. The next day it returns to restricted and then later free access again and so on.

Initially we thought of using break glass, so the door can be used as a fire door, but this then causes a problem when we want free access.

Is anyone aware of any locks that might accommodate this. I think it is unlikely, but you never know.

A manager wants to keep the normal single action door lock we have, but just put a small plastic chain with a sign on across the door frame at the restricted times. I’m not keen on this, even though it is feeble plastic it contravenes the single action to open a door requirement.

DHeptinstall  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2017 16:20:34(UTC)
DHeptinstall

Hi

Would linking it in to an access control system be an option?

I have done the same thing at my workplace - the mag lock is on a timer to restrict access at certain times of the day. The rest of the time it is freely accessible, and there is a break glass for emergency use (you could also program it so it automatically releases once the fire alarm is activated).

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2017 09:15:23(UTC)
HSSnail

Many years ago used to work in a building where we had “fire panic bolts” I thought back then they were glass but a quick internet search suggests they may be ceramic now. We always knew when a fire alarm was planned if you walked past the fire door as they would be removed so we did not break them on exit! In your case you could remove them during the times and put them back in place when you wanted restricted access. Be a bit fiddly but might work. Good Luck
Billibob  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2017 16:20:02(UTC)
Billibob

You can now get indvidual wireless key/keyless barrels which can programme each door they are fitted to for different times. You can also link them to the fire alarm where required (if on a means of escape) and also have a lockdown override in case of a lockdown situation. 

They are not that cheap currently and you need to have a wireless network in place.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2017 08:24:14(UTC)
chris42

Thank you all including those that sent PM’s. We have now looked and considered the various electronic systems and key pad override options suggested by you. We have realised because of the setup, whatever physical thing we put on, at whatever cost, we still end up relying on the employees not just overriding the system. These doors have to be a fire door for emergencies at all times, it is just particular occasions we want free / restricted access which may vary day to day. The other odd thing about it is the fire exit route could be in either direction through the doors, depending on where the fire is (which would be easily spotted).

Therefore, if we are relying on people to do the right thing we are thinking we just need to put a sign on the door saying “No access unless in an emergency”. If the sign was metal and hanging on a metal chain on the door (so not blocking the door) and nothing to combust, it should be ok. We then give the employees that may use this a briefing on the sign and why it is there. When later in each day we are happy for free access we simply turn the sign around. We will of course have to ensure it is turned back when needed. We may have to get the signs specially made, but that is ok. I would prefer a red / white sign not green and white, but not sure about that at moment.

I think this will work! and not contravene any fire requirements and be cost effective. Does anyone know of any legal reason this could not be done?

Thanks all for your input, there may be some other areas some of those devices may be useful for.

Chris