Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Oldoak  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2017 11:18:14(UTC)
Oldoak

thanks 1 user thanked Oldoak for this useful post.
DavidGault on 09/10/2017(UTC)
David Anderson  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2017 12:14:18(UTC)
David Anderson

It would be interesting to see this Amazon style review stand up in court! somehow, I think the current and ongoing HSE Regs & Guidance would require something more robust then review opinion!

Any company wishing to sell into the EU would still have to comply with the CE mark, I would be looking to continue to require CE markings on items for UK use until an equivalent system was in place!    

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2017 12:35:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given reviews can be fraudulent (paid for) not really much difference to the DoP's and CoC's some market suppliers issue

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2017 17:25:43(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I wouldn't trust Amazon type reviews as far as I could throw it. Quite a pathetic suggestion.

As others have said, if supplying into Europe after Brexit 'CE' marking will still be required.

Brexit is a total joke from the HSE point of view/technical/engineering safety.

We will have to go back to Britsh Standards, which originally came from the government Board of Trade. In practice probably copying over EN regs, with no influence on what particular standards might require.

chris.packham  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2017 11:39:47(UTC)
chris.packham

Who will validate the Amazon standards?

Anyone wishing to sell into the EU will have to comply with their standards (CE marking, REACH, etc.). If we end up with three different standards, one for the U.K., one for the EU and one for the rest of the world just consider the complexity and cost. Where will we stand with GHS?

Chris

boblewis  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2017 12:22:53(UTC)
boblewis

What utter drivel.

Labour momentum strikes again

O'Donnell54548  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2017 13:04:52(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

The posts on this subject only goes to confirm my suspicions that the whole Brexit process is a sham. Politicians, of all parties, and business leaders know that Britain cannot survive globally outside of the EU and are frantically trying to put together a deal that looks like Brexit without actually being Brexit. Brexit which maintains levy free trade across Europe - check, continue to allow movement of migrant workers to fill low paid jobs - check, continue paying into the EU coffers for years to come - check, spend the next two years scare mongering with stories like CE being replaced with Amazon customer reviews to try and change peoples minds at leaving the EU- check.  .  

ShaunBaker91  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2017 13:23:10(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

Theres already Major issues from legislation points of view, European law used in the UK is to be 'Re-Invented' to be UK relevant, Basically where ever there is European Directives you have to put a red line through it and change it to UK.

Caused more hastle than it is worth this whole referendum.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2017 13:52:10(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you go around Whitehall you will find in various nooks and crannies what David Cameron described as “google-eyed loons”. These characters are usually: clever, just out of University (Oxbridge natch) and completely disconnected with the real world. They usually have some axe to grind and with some it is an obsession with this thing they call the “free market”. Most economists agree that markets exist but few believe they are anything like free. Our strange friends want to create conditions for a free market to exist in the real world and for that to occur they need to ensure that the only thing driving the market is price. Any system of safety standards mucks up “market freedom”, hence this suggestion. With the current government being all at sea there is nobody left to keep these people out of trouble and so they are being allowed to communicate with the outside world.

David Anderson  
#10 Posted : 07 October 2017 17:40:11(UTC)
David Anderson

I think we/ IOSH should keep an eye in this, just in case this daft idea gains ground, and is taken up by those with no understanding of the problems this will cause!

I do not see why anybody would set up to a new UK standard 'BS', unless there was no option. The products so far are already with the CE mark, or will we be at the point in the future that the CE / BS as the same, it just is an admin cost to creat the BS mark for the products!

johnmurray  
#11 Posted : 08 October 2017 16:12:29(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: ShaunBaker91 Go to Quoted Post
Theres already Major issues from legislation points of view, European law used in the UK is to be 'Re-Invented' to be UK relevant, Basically where ever there is European Directives you have to put a red line through it and change it to UK.
Caused more hastle than it is worth this whole referendum.

EU directives are directions to member states to include in their own laws.
All directives are included AS UK law.
To remove them, the relevant UK law will have to be changed.
As already said, the CE system will have to be complied with, otherwise we will not be able to export to EU countries. Many other countries also use the same compliance system.
Setting-up a new system is not going to happen, simply because the new system would have to be agreed with the countries we export to...there is little point in re-inventing a wheel just because the tyre is a colour you dislike.
Anyway..it's the standard...the sun on downers..
You need to turn your eyes towards the end of '19 to find the reason for exit...a major EU push to ensure tax compliance and end tax avoidance....seriously worrying to those with several hundred companies registered abroad to shift profits around and avoid taxes.
Several major banks have already bought property in the EU...one law firm moving from London to Frankfurt...at least one airline shifting to Ireland, with more to follow.
We'll be left with the tax avoiding dross!
Oh, and the export of meat will halt...
johnmurray  
#12 Posted : 08 October 2017 16:16:55(UTC)
johnmurray

I've done the security image...checked it..pressed enter.
"Text does not match image"
Yes, it does.
It's in front of me.
Exactly.
The.
Same.
Just goes with the login window, which also fails to work..
Bigmac1  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2017 23:10:04(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: David Anderson Go to Quoted Post

It would be interesting to see this Amazon style review stand up in court! somehow, I think the current and ongoing HSE Regs & Guidance would require something more robust then review opinion!

Any company wishing to sell into the EU would still have to comply with the CE mark, I would be looking to continue to require CE markings on items for UK use until an equivalent system was in place!    

The company importing into the EU would need to comply and not the seller.

However who in the EU would by our crap if we didnt comply