Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
J Sullivan  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2017 21:47:32(UTC)
J Sullivan

Hi 

Can anone give me some undestanding / guidance of the following 

If a mansafe system was installed 13 years ago and now been removed because the roof space has solar panles in its place as part of the install  .

Q1 Would it be deemed illegal to not replace the mansafe system.... No staff or contractors will ever be allowed on the roof going forward and roof cat ladder will be tagged out 

Q2 Would a RAMS  be suitable and sufficent (without a mansafe ) if roof acsess is required by an appoved contractor using a cherry picker   

Q3 If no mansafe system  is in place and a cherry picker will not do the job , is it illegal to ask a scaffolding installation team to fit a safe system of work ie handrails  / roof light protection system without them being able to attach to the mansafe  subject to seeing the RAMS of course 

Thanks in advance 

John  

georgiaredmayne  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2017 07:34:55(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi John,

What you are saying is not illegal at all. If no work is going to be going on in the future on the roof then its up to your company whether they want to remove the man safe system however it may be difficult in the future if anyone does need access.

What COULD be deemed as illegal is not carrying out a suitable and sufficent risk assessment and trying to prevent falls, minimise the distance and/or consequence of a fall whilst working at height. 

It would depend on the job, nature of the task, access restrictions, loading and type of roof etc. as to whether a Cherry Picker or Scaffold would be sufficent however, these are commonly used. 

Georgia

Edited by user 12 October 2017 08:09:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked georgiaredmayne for this useful post.
johnc on 12/10/2017(UTC), J Sullivan on 01/09/2021(UTC)
RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2017 07:46:33(UTC)
RayRapp

Hi John

It is not a case of something is illegal or not, it's whether you can adopt a Safe System of Work by using an alternative means of accessing the roof. It is up to the HSE or rather, the courts to decide whether something is legal or otherwise.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
J Sullivan on 01/09/2021(UTC)
J Sullivan  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2017 09:11:00(UTC)
J Sullivan

Thanks both for taking the time  to reply its been very useful reading your understanding of this.

Thanks .............John 

Brian Campbell  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:21:46(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Hi John,

If I was in your shoes I would be writing a policy on the only acceptable access methods allowed to access the roof for any purpose.  I would imagine at some point theres still going to be maintenance or cleaning on solar panels and the roof itself?  You could make considerations for companies who are Rope Access Trained only to be granted permission onto the roof for maintenance etc Include in your policy that RAMS must come from them first before any work is granted along with the appropriate working permits etc!  They will at least have experience of accessing roofs without mansafe systems.

Brian

J Sullivan  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:53:44(UTC)
J Sullivan

Hi Brian

Thankd for this thats a good idea  I think I will write something up as susggested

cheers

John