Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chas  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2017 09:39:11(UTC)
chas

We have some care workers who occasionally have to wear disposable type masks when assisting clients. The issue of face fit testing has arisen and I have had conflicting answers, hence the query here. Do care workers who may occasionally have to don a disposable type mask whilst assisting and caring for elderly people who could, for example, have C.Diff or norovirus etc need to undergo face fit testing. I would be particularly interested in hearing what people who are in the care industry do with their care workers. Thanks in advance.

Edited by user 19 October 2017 10:20:33(UTC)  | Reason: Making a sentence make sense!

safetyamateur  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2017 09:52:06(UTC)
safetyamateur

Hi, Chas.

We're an Acute NHS Trust. We have flu on the horizon and we're doing all our HCWs.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2017 10:55:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If your COSHH assessment says that you need RPE then that RPE requires face fit testing. I am surprised that you are using RPE in relation to norovirus and Clostridium difficile since neither is a respiratory agent

chas  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2017 11:10:50(UTC)
chas

Thanks for the replies so far. Some of our staff may need to wear disposable masks for a number of reasons, as well as incidentally as part of an overall protection package for infection control etc. It can also provide some peace of mind to the wearer who may have to deal with difficult situations. The issue now is whether or not they all need to undergo face fit testing. I think the answer to that is becoming clearer to me, although I am interested in the experiences of others.      

NickRoarty  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2017 11:48:29(UTC)
NickRoarty

Yes, all workers who are required to wear close fitting RPE are required to be face fit tested for the specific type of RPE provided to them

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2017 12:27:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

And the RPE is being used as a control measure for?

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2017 12:27:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

And the RPE is being used as a control measure for?

chas  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:02:21(UTC)
chas

In response to Roundtuit's question, the disposable RPE may be worn to prevent contaminants/viruses etc from entering the care worker's mouth. Care staff may, for example, choose to wear disposable RPE to help prevent themselves inadvertently or sub-consiously touching their mouth whilst clearing up bodily fluids, which may or may not be infected. It may be that an elderly client has a virus that could be spread via saliva/mucous or sneezes etc and the care worker wishes to protect themselves, or give themselves peace of mind. Whether or not these types of activity require a formal face fit test to be done is one question that we are looking to answer.     

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:10:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

So when you say disposable are these more like a surgeons mask (similar to those worn by commuters in footage of commuters in the far east?) If so then by design there is no seal ergo no face-fit

Think disposable may be being read as the typical dust mask

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:10:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

So when you say disposable are these more like a surgeons mask (similar to those worn by commuters in footage of commuters in the far east?) If so then by design there is no seal ergo no face-fit

Think disposable may be being read as the typical dust mask

watcher  
#11 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:20:09(UTC)
watcher

As others have said, RPE requires a face fit test

Going by your description of use, they don't sound like RPE to me.  Why would care workers need respirators?

chas  
#12 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:31:29(UTC)
chas

Indeed, this is where some of the confusion in my world seems to lie.

A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:42:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Surgical masks are not RPE. They are intended to protect the patient from the medical worker. As noted they do not form a seal around the face ergo they do not need face fit testing.

Still not convinced that you need face masks for the hazards you mentioned. Who did the original assessment?  We are not talking about Ebola. Surely good hygiene is a better approach.

chas  
#14 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:59:28(UTC)
chas

Good hygiene is of paramount importance, of course, however if someone chooses to wear a mask as an option and as a last line of defence and/or in order to prevent something (eg bodily fluids) from entering the mouth, then it begs the question about us then having to do the face fit test. Whilst we are not talking ebola here, we do have to consider things like Hep A and others. Hence the question, both on this forum and in my workplace.    

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 19 October 2017 15:17:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

and fluid transmission through eye contact?

quite a lot of the surgical mask providers have a variant with a wrap around eye shield

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 19 October 2017 15:17:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

and fluid transmission through eye contact?

quite a lot of the surgical mask providers have a variant with a wrap around eye shield

descarte8  
#17 Posted : 23 October 2017 09:03:07(UTC)
descarte8

Your questions and responses all seem to indicate that the use of the masks is not mandatory and is for reassurance or comfort.  As such no face fit test is required.

Thomo  
#18 Posted : 26 October 2017 12:26:51(UTC)
Thomo

Hi Chas

Consult you OccHealth Dr/ local authority for guidance. A lot of them recommend surgical mask IR or IIR for flu within 3 feet and FFP3 with eye protection when dealing with aerosol generating procedures.

If you’re looking at Influenza, Droplet Transmission Droplets greater than 5 microns in size may be generated from the respiratory tract during coughing, sneezing or talking. If droplets from

an infected person come into contact with the mucous membranes of the mouth or nose, or surface of the eye they can cause infection. These droplets remain in the air for a short time and travel about 1metre, so closeness is required for transmission.

The Airborne Route During and after Aerosol Generating Procedures these can produce droplets less than 5 micron in size. These small droplets can remain in the air, travel more than one metre from the source and still be infectious, either by inhalation or mucous membrane contact.

AGPs

cardiopulmonary resuscitation

bronchoscopy

surgery and post mortem procedures in which high-speed devices are used to open the respiratory track

dental procedures

non-invasive ventilation (NIV) e.g. bi-level positive airway pressure ventilation (BiPAP) and continuous positive airway pressure ventilation (CPAP)

high frequency oscillatory ventilation (HFOV)

induction of sputum.

suctioning.

If you search for Fluid resistant surgical mask and EN14683

type IR and IIR are splash resistant of blood and bodily fluids.

A surgical mask doesnt need Face Fit Testing a FFP3 or FFP2 does need Face Fit Testing.

toe  
#19 Posted : 30 October 2017 01:53:56(UTC)
toe

I work in the social care environment and on occasions when conducting risk assessment I will insist on disposable masks or face shields. For example, where there is a risk of projectile vomit or directed spitting. These disposable masks do-not need face fitting, as they are not protecting against dust.

It has to be noted that Standard Infection Protocols (SIP) must be followed at all times when dealing with Blood Bourn Viruses (BBV) and most biological agents.

Point of note: Norovirus and C Diff can defiantly be airborne and breathed in, transmitting the virus from person to person.