Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnmurray  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2017 06:46:05(UTC)
johnmurray

"Two Laing O’Rourke companies have been fined a total of £3.8m after a worker was crushed to death at its concrete products factory in Worksop, Nottinghamshire"

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/10/18/orourke-firms-fined-3-8m-after-concrete-factory-death/

hilary  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2017 08:02:39(UTC)
hilary

Thanks for sharing this.  Sometimes it is difficult to get people to take us seriously, but money focuses the mind somewhat and massive fines like this should become the norm.  I have shared it with all my managers.

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2017 08:34:39(UTC)
RayRapp

Agreed, huge fine which may help focus people's minds. That said, using money as a sanction is not always such an effective form of punishment. In some cases the defendant is unable to pay a substantive amount and this is where I would like to see more use of a custodial sentence as an alternative. 

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2017 09:00:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

Agreed, huge fine which may help focus people's minds. That said, using money as a sanction is not always such an effective form of punishment. In some cases the defendant is unable to pay a substantive amount and this is where I would like to see more use of a custodial sentence as an alternative. 

It is the company that paid the fine. You cannot imprison a company and as we know it is difficult sometimes to establish which individual was responsible. In smaller businesses the boss does get caught out but in larger operations the blame is spread out and if you really can’t imprison a whole tier of management. (although I rather like the idea of doing that sometimes)  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
chris42 on 20/10/2017(UTC)
RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2017 09:54:08(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

It is the company that paid the fine. You cannot imprison a company and as we know it is difficult sometimes to establish which individual was responsible. In smaller businesses the boss does get caught out but in larger operations the blame is spread out and if you really can’t imprison a whole tier of management. (although I rather like the idea of doing that sometimes)  

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I am referring to smaller companies i.e. one man band outfits, where they often do not have the resources for a substantive fine. Yet they still kill people. Giving them a paltry fine seems to be incongruous to the principles of justice. 

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
chris42 on 20/10/2017(UTC)