Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
George_Young  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2017 10:35:34(UTC)
George_Young

Good morning all,

I am currently reviewing the compnay H&S manual, which if im honest is terrible and out of date, its that bad it was last reviewed in 2009 and makes reference to the Fire Precautions Act 1971 and others, im guessing its never been reviewed just signed and dated (not my doing, not been in this role long)

Anyways, does anyone have any templates or tips on how to lay them out. this will be my first manual which I will be writing, so any advice would be great.

George

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2017 10:46:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Three questions:

1. What business are you in?

2. How many pages is your upper limit?

3. Will this be a book or will it go onto an intranet?

If you are going to put it on an intranet I’d do an A-Z rather than a manual

George_Young  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2017 10:50:32(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Three questions:

1. What business are you in?

2. How many pages is your upper limit?

3. Will this be a book or will it go onto an intranet?

If you are going to put it on an intranet I’d do an A-Z rather than a manual

Thank you for your respone,  We are in a distribution and manufacturing business. I never thought of the number of pages and I was planning on having 2 versions 1 for the intranet system and a book version for external interested parties as we have staff who work away from premises.

Regards

George

georgiaredmayne  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2017 15:00:08(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi George A good point to start for a H&S Manual is looking at OHSAS 18001 standards (even if you are not certificated) note the standards are being changed soon however they are a good foundation for a manual so look at each of the standards I.e legal and other requirements and identify roles and responsibilities and also how your conpany assesses legal and any other requirements. You can go through each line by line and explain the principles of how it is carried out in your organisation. In our conpany is essentially the top layer of the management system with policies and procedures underneath I.e working at height policy etc. Georgia
Ian A-H  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2017 11:03:20(UTC)
Ian  A-H

Hi George

From what you have said, you might want to look the the company H&S policy statement too.

Adams29600  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2017 11:44:47(UTC)
Adams29600

Agree with Georgia - 18001 is a good model.

Asad Jamal  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2017 14:48:55(UTC)
Asad Jamal

Dear Sir,

Ineed OSHA standards from where i will get it

with best regard

Dr Asad Jamal