Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shelley55  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2017 15:57:16(UTC)
Shelley55

I am struggling to get a definitive up to date answer on whether it is a legal requirement to carry out a leak test on the micorwave in the workplace.  The ones we have are domestic microwaves and aren't excessively used.  They are PAT tested annually.  I didn't think the leak test was a legal requirement but just wanted to double check before I advise everyone not to worry!

I have found some information on the forum but it was from a few years ago so thought I better double check.

Thanks in advance.

paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2017 21:18:45(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Hi,

As I am sure that you are aware, there is no legal requirement for PAT.

The legal requirement is that you maintain the equipment to ensure that it is safe for use.

PAT is one way of helping to demonstrate this.

If, a microwave oven is capable of presenting a danger to users if it leaks, then it would be required to test it to ensure that it is not leaking.

Now we all know that a microwave oven if leaking can be lethal.

So, is there a requirement to test it for leakage?

The current version of the IET CoP for ISITEE has removed microwave leakage testing from its content as it is not directly electrical safety.

Microwave "radiation" is non-ionising EM radiation, thus the Non-ionising radiation guidance, such as the EMF regulations would apply.

As microwaves are EM radiation, and the "EMF regulations" require assessment and verification of the exposure of persons to EM radiation at work, then I would say that the microwave must be checked for leaks to ensure that it complies with the "EMF regs".

thanks 1 user thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
SNS on 18/10/2017(UTC)
georgiaredmayne  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2017 06:54:34(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi,

I would recommend you read http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg281.pdf CEMFAW 2016 guidance as to whether microwave leakeage tests are actually required.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2017 08:57:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There is a list of items that do not require EMF testing including microwave ovens, mobile phones and computer equipment. All of these items are designed and manufactured to standards which include limiting exposure to EMF. (Connected up thinking by the regulators!).

So if the equipment is being use as designed and has not been damaged or modified there is no need for additional testing.    

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
georgiaredmayne on 19/10/2017(UTC), Steve e ashton on 20/10/2017(UTC), Shelley55 on 20/10/2017(UTC)
johnmurray  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2017 13:13:44(UTC)
johnmurray

They all leak. The only variation is the degree of leakage. The vast majority of leakage will be from the doorseal. Since the instructions included on purchase mention keeping them clean, I suggest that is done! While I have great regard for Pauls professionalism, I do not consider leakage would lead to death....touching the power supply to the cavity magnetron certainly would... Oh well..
paul.skyrme  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2017 20:39:52(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Originally Posted by: johnmurray Go to Quoted Post
They all leak. The only variation is the degree of leakage. The vast majority of leakage will be from the doorseal. Since the instructions included on purchase mention keeping them clean, I suggest that is done! While I have great regard for Pauls professionalism, I do not consider leakage would lead to death....touching the power supply to the cavity magnetron certainly would... Oh well..

John,

We'll not fall out over that, but, think of it as lethal as asbestos, then tell me that it won't kill, because it is of the same ilk.

The main difference being the exposure is cumulative, it may do you no harm, it may give you cancer.

The fact is the radiation emitted is dangerous to health and can kill over the longer term.

However, yes the magnetron supply is a LOT more lethal, I did have to say no to my son keeping the step up Tx from our old microwave!!!

The issue is mainly the door seal, damage and contamination, how would one know if it is compromised or damaged if it is not I&T's by a competent person.

Agreed?

johnmurray  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2017 06:39:22(UTC)
johnmurray

It won't give you cancer.

Non-ionising.

The most threatened body part is the eye, and that from the heating effect.

Simple way to check; Door seal dirty?

Clean it.

Front glass broken?

Throw the oven away.

Interlocking door switches/latches broken?

Get it fixed, or throw it away. DON'T push a lump of wood in to get it to work (seen that)

Funnily enough...you are more intensely irradiated from your mobile phone than from a mildly-leaking microwave... distance caveat.

Let's face it, it may be better to have a "replace every year" policy...they ain't expensive!

thanks 2 users thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/10/2017(UTC), Steve e ashton on 20/10/2017(UTC)
chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2017 06:56:13(UTC)
chris.packham

Reading this I worry about the millions of mmicrowaves out in the domestic environment. Who checks and looks after these?

Chris

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 20 October 2017 08:04:04(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Let's all read the guidance from WHO and then find other things to worry about-  http://www.who.int/peh-e...acts/info_microwaves/en/

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 20/10/2017(UTC)
johnmurray  
#10 Posted : 20 October 2017 09:59:08(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post

Reading this I worry about the millions of mmicrowaves out in the domestic environment. Who checks and looks after these?

Chris

They're not that bad Chris, they're designed to be proof against most things; except total morons.

The average domestic microwave oven user is many hundreds of times more likely to be made ill by inadequate cooking of the food than by microwave radiation (non-ionising radiation)

You willingly hold your mobile phone against your head (900/1800/2100 Mhz), even though that exposes you to a greater intensity of radiation than the undamaged, correctly-operated, domestic microwave (2450Mhz)

You can't beat the inverse square law:

"The inverse-square law, in physics, is a physical law stating that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity"

thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 20/10/2017(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#11 Posted : 21 October 2017 20:13:49(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Would you test your own domestic microwave? There is your answer.

johnmurray  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2017 08:07:56(UTC)
johnmurray

You couldn't. Not cheaply anyway.

The cheap "testers" available are incredibly rubbish.

Seriously, they react to any EM emision at all...

Noticed the Daily Wail says that putting your mobile phone in your microwave and ringing it will reveal any leaks.

Good luck with that. as I said, they all leak. The only variation is the amount.

chris.packham  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2017 15:27:38(UTC)
chris.packham

With my comment about the domestic environment I was merely trying to draw attention to the need, perhaps, to keep a sense of proportion when considering risks and when we need to take specific action on these in the workplace.  I see many risks that many seem unaware of butthat are real and require action. Often these are simply ignored or reliance is placed on information that is inadequate, potentially misleading, or simply wrong! If you want some examples of this PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you some.

Chris