Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cj2006  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2017 18:43:27(UTC)
Cj2006

Hi, I am looking for some advice on whether to start a career in health and safety. I started working in a manufacturing role on a shop floor and have progressed up to a management role in manufacturing so would have pretty good first hand experience of hazards e.g welding, machining etc. I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and have completed a professional qualification in LEV design. I have recently taken an interest in Health and safety and have completed my NEBOSH General Certificate. Would any of my previous experience be relevant to a career in health and safety and would anyone have any recommendations as to how to get started? Any help is greatly appreciated.
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2017 09:29:47(UTC)
RayRapp

Your previous experience in industry is a big plus because having that 'hands-on' knowledge of hazards puts you at a distinct advantage. Breaking through into a health and safety career may be a little more dificult. The pay is not so good, unless you make a senior position, so I would think twice if I were you. That said, by taking a keen interest in all health and safety matters will make you a better manager and if an opportunity should arise you will be in a better position to take advantage of it. Good luck. 

Cj2006  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2017 19:29:47(UTC)
Cj2006

Many thanks for your input Ray 👍🏼
Jackson43278  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2017 08:55:46(UTC)
Jackson43278

Yes, yes and thrice yes, your expereince would be good. I ran my own small H&S consultancy for ten years and the best employees I had were the ones who came from a manufacturing or production background as they had already spent a lot more time actually on the sharp end of H&S than they realised. They were particularly good at looking at a situation and coming up with a realistic and practical solution to the issue, especially compared to others who had bucket loads of qualifications but not a lot of experience outside of H&S itself. 

gww92  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2017 19:08:05(UTC)
gww92

Hi there

I've just started the process of switching careers after a lot of consideration, I'm currently working in construction as a trainee manager after completing a degree in construction project management. However, i have decided this is not the career path for me. I have just signed up for the NEBOSH national construction certficate, I am looking at completing this and considering other courses that would help me to get a job in a health and safety advisor/consultant role in construction around Oxfordshire. I have around 4 years hands on construction experience as well the management degree. Would you guys say that my CV would pretty good already? or is it best to maybe get a few other qualifications etc?

Thanks!

cheifinspector  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:06:21(UTC)
cheifinspector

My background is very similar to yours. I started out on the shopfloor for a company that inspects and manufactures drilling tools for the oil & gas industry (lots of welding & machining undertaken). Got moved to the QC side of things and within that I started to get involved in HSE matters. From there I became HSEQ Manager.

I can honestly say that having an operational background has been hugely beneficial in where I am today. Having an understanding of the processes, equipment, tools etc is a big bonus when it comes to risk management and adds value to the overall system. Although qualifications can be important, no amount of training or courses makes up for time at the coal face.

If you have decided that this is the path you want to take then you should first get actively involved in any safety committee that may be in place at your company. As you mention, you have first hand experience so will have valuable input to the committee. See how things develop from there and you should know if this is a path that you wish to follow.     

thanks 1 user thanked cheifinspector for this useful post.
Cj2006 on 21/11/2017(UTC)
Cj2006  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:25:21(UTC)
Cj2006

Thanks for all the useful advice. The company I work for is quite small so not much opportunity to progress in health and safety. I would need to move companies.. Looking at jobs I see environment is mentioned alot in the job descriptions. As I have no first hand health and safety experience, I was toying with the idea of going for my nebosh environmental cert. Do you think that would be worthwhile doing to help get my foot in the door so to speak?
Metal-Works  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2018 10:13:01(UTC)
Metal-Works

Hi to one and all, I have been involved in construction for over 30 years mainly steelwork.I have worked on big and small projects and for the last 10 years have been running my own welding and fabricating business.I also work part time at my local college in the welding dept. this involves along with other things helping out with risk assessments and workshop safety.This has got me thinking of doing a NEBOSH qualification do any of you think that at my age [50]this to be a worthwhile thing to do.Do any of you think that this could open any doors into maybe a new career direction.Not a fan of wasting time or money so any advice gladly taken.