Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ke5283  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:04:38(UTC)
ke5283

Morning,

Could just do with some clarification as I am not too au fait with LOLER in a public use setting.

A part of my company installs and maintains platform lifts and stairlifts. These are in a mixture of homes - some are owned by the homeowner, and some are in homes owned by the housing association (us). There are also external platform lifts for access to properties that are not suitable for wheelchair users.

Equipment is currently subject to a maintenance inspection every 6 months, commisioned by us, but no LOLER inspection is undertaken.

Am I right in thinking LOLER would apply to these scenarios? As we still have a duty under HSW Act?

Would appreciate any thoughts

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:52:37(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

If in a work environment yes, they are subject to LOLER and PUWER. If not then no. However, you still have a duty of care to others not at work under section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.

This will be one of the reasons why you carry out a 6 monthy inspection. Please see link below, this will provide you with more detail and other useful links/guidance:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/passenger-lifts.htm

ke5283  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:14:42(UTC)
ke5283

Thanks for the response.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am interpretating this as us undertaking the 6-monthly maintenance inspections may not be completly fulfilling out duty under the HSW Act and there would be a duty to undertake LOLER examanination also?

Invictus  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:21:07(UTC)
Invictus

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hsis4.pdf  covers stair lifts

Woolf13  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:22:13(UTC)
Woolf13

These duties under HASAWA may be adequately discharged by undertaking maintenance, and inspection, and 6 monthly thorough examination, even though PUWER and LOLER may not apply to the equipment.

If unsure it would be useful to speak to the manufacturer. As part of their duties under the supply of machinery they have to supply equipment with instructions etc. One of their requirements may well be to undertake six monthly inspections and testing whatever the installation situation be it work or not.

Good practice is always the best option as you are going above and beyond what the law requires.

RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2017 14:55:34(UTC)
RayRapp

To clarify an earlier point, if the lifts are used by a member of staff then LOLER and PUWER apply. For example, a lift in a block of flats that only residents will use is not covered by LOLER. A hoist lift installed in a house will not be covered by LOLER if only the occupiers use the hoist lift.