Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arabianphil  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2017 09:42:35(UTC)
arabianphil

I have just been asked a simple question:

When temporarily needing to stop work using a powered hand-grinder eg to check dimensions/finish etc... before continuing use is it best to switch off wait for the disc to stop rotating and place the grinder face-up or face down.

Any hints on best practise would be appreciated (with a short explanation as to the rationale) would be appreciated.

My thanks in advance

ryangavin777  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2017 21:32:41(UTC)
ryangavin777

I guess it would depend on what they were grinding and what blade was in use? Realistically I think it would be common for most workers to just move it to the side. I don't think many would turn it every time. "Elf & Safety" and all that.....

I'd say it would be better face down as it positions the blade away from the person?

Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2017 13:15:01(UTC)
Woolf13

Yes, you should wait for the disc to stop (which should be seconds) before placing the grinder down on a suitable dry surface. If you do not there is the likelihood the disc will be damaged or break. On portable machines the control should be located so that there is no risk of accidental starting when the grinder is placed on a flat surface.

With portable machines the operator should ensure the machine is operated with the guards properly positioned. The guard should always be positioned between the operator and the wheel. This is usually as you are looking down on the machine for the type of grinder you are referring to. If you have the machine facing the other way with the disc fully visible you are exposing the operator to the disc and if accidnetly started in that position there is a chance of injury.

All of the above should be included in basic operator training with abrasive wheels. See link below for useful information from the HSE:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg17.htm

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
Accidentia on 04/12/2017(UTC)