Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
graham hendry  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:31:08(UTC)
graham hendry

The safety guy previous to me set up a blanket ban on wearing gloves at woodworking machines.

The weathers changed and one operator using a spindle wants to wear gloves.

The spindle uses safety blades so, in theory, the worst cut you would get is 3mm deep (unlike using a rip saw which would amputate fingers in an instant).

When I look at it, I can see a significantly reduced risk from the glove becoming entangled cos the safety blade doesn't have the same ability to pull the glove like a rip saw.

Appreciate any opinions or past experiences

Picture of a safety blade http://wwwi.globalpiyasa...0dc83cfb82ba7adc439b.jpg

TommyH  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:51:52(UTC)
TommyH

Why not talk to the operatives doing the work, what are their opinions.  look at the accident / incident rate for the work shop.  Risk assess the activites of the person wanting to wear gloves, consider fingerless gloves or thin cut resistant gloves that don't reduce tactile feedback back to the brain too much.

Tom

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:57:53(UTC)
Bigmac1

Why not provide heating??

Beanbell  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2020 13:13:15(UTC)
Beanbell

I am using Mechanix Wear M-Pact Leather Work Gloves. I always recommend Leather Gloves for woodworkers. I luckily got its recommendation from a blog on it.

The M-Pact Leather work glove is manufactured to provide a functional fingerless interface to skilled carpenters. With this, they get greater flexibility while cutting, measuring, and framing the structures. 

And always check if the material of the gloves is workable to suit your woodworking environment. The material should be such that it ensures maximum safety from any risks or danger you deal with everyday in your workplace. 

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 28 December 2020 13:51:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported

Edited by user 28 December 2020 17:18:05(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 28/12/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 28/12/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2020 13:51:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported

Edited by user 28 December 2020 17:18:05(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 28/12/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 28/12/2020(UTC)