Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matelot1965  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2017 21:42:47(UTC)
matelot1965

Although there is a serious issue here. I could not help myself from chuckling where the direcor of field operations states ‘ The HSE fully co-operated with itself” https://www.ioshmagazine...ensures-itself-lab-burns
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2017 12:47:29(UTC)
RayRapp

I read this case a few days ago and find it a bit rich (sorry about the pun) the HSE get let off with a Crown Censure, when they prosecute for lesser breaches and those companies get fined large amounts of money.

matelot1965  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2017 16:59:25(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post
I read this case a few days ago and find it a bit rich (sorry about the pun) the HSE get let off with a Crown Censure, when they prosecute for lesser breaches and those companies get fined large amounts of money.
Hi Ray Understand we’re you are coming from unfortunately though the crown censure is what it is fella. Whether or not we think it’s right or wrong government organisation’s can take advantage of it. I wonder what the costs for this investigation were and if the HSE sent themselves an invoice for FFI
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2017 11:25:12(UTC)
A Kurdziel

https://www.ioshmagazine.com/article/shielding-crown

Crown Censure is as a funny beast. It is seen by outsiders as the government “getting away with it” but exactly what are they “getting away with”? Then only significant penalty that can be imposed on an organisation is a fine, but the fine then goes back to the government so the Treasury gives some money to the Department being prosecuted who then pays it to the Courts Service who then pay it back to the Treasury: a bit pointless (of course, remember that the lawyers will take a cut of this money as it goes around).

The HSE does take Crown Censures seriously ( was involved in one some years ago: it’s why I ended up in H&S) and does not give the department involved any slack, in fact looking back at the case I was involved in I think that they might have been a bit harsh and they possibly would not of prosecuted the agency for in court.

Applying Crown Censure against themselves is bit odd. I always thought that just as the HSE investigated local authorities that contravened the Health and Safety at Work Act, local authorities investigated the HSE.  Must have misread that.

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2017 12:59:09(UTC)
Hsquared14

The state cannot prosecute itself so Crown Censure is the way that enforcement of law is reflected in Govenment departments.  Everyone in the Civil Service takes Crown Censure very seriously - it is a career killer and heads do roll, I can assure you that no one "gets away" with anything!

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Bootneck997 on 12/12/2017(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2017 14:49:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

The state cannot prosecute itself so Crown Censure is the way that enforcement of law is reflected in Govenment departments.  Everyone in the Civil Service takes Crown Censure very seriously - it is a career killer and heads do roll, I can assure you that no one "gets away" with anything!

Definitely a career killer: I have heard rumours of knighthoods going missing after a Crown Censure. To people in the private sector this might not mean much but for senior civil servants getting a measly CBE when you were expecting a KBE is a real kick in the teeth.   

RayRapp  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:02:27(UTC)
RayRapp

I don't think these faceless civil servants deserve an honour for doing what is after all their job, plus well paid and a good pension.

As for Crown Censure, still not convinced this is a commensurate sanction. The HSE have no issues prosecuting Local Authorities, this money comes out of public coffers and can affect public services. Not a good argument in my book.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
johnc on 11/12/2017(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:34:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

You can also argue that fines do not affect large companies. The money for the fine does not come out of the shareholder’s dividends but is simply passed onto consumers as higher prices. I have not yet heard a fine (for an H&S offence) that has imposed any sort of hardship on a FTSE 100 company as oppose to the SME’s that usually go under. Perhaps going after the body corporate is a bit pointless and we should just focus on the individuals?

PS most civil servants I have worked with are not faceless, they just have this strange rictus from having to work with the idiot politicians that you, the great British public keep electing.

RayRapp  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2017 16:02:36(UTC)
RayRapp

It has been argued before that fines per se are not a good form of punishment. Unfortunately it is in the main the only practical form of punishment for many offences.

Now, I believe I am right in saying the HSE are not exempt from being prosecuted for Corporate Manslaughter despite a caveat for some goverment departments - where the main sanction is an unlimited fine. Does smack of hypocrisy.  

biker1  
#10 Posted : 11 December 2017 17:12:00(UTC)
biker1

It does seem a bit odd for an organisation to be investigating itself for an offence, where's the transparency? At best, it could result in purely internal politics coming into play, at worst it could result in a whitewash. Surely some independence could be brought into play, as has been suggested, whereby local authorities do the investigation, but then would that result in some old scores being settled?

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 12/12/2017(UTC)
matelot1965  
#11 Posted : 11 December 2017 18:12:54(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post
It does seem a bit odd for an organisation to be investigating itself for an offence, where's the transparency? At best, it could result in purely internal politics coming into play, at worst it could result in a whitewash. Surely some independence could be brought into play, as has been suggested, whereby local authorities do the investigation, but then would that result in some old scores being settled?
Good point biker were is the transparency ? Perhaps the Irish H+S Authority or an independent body of respected H+S professionals could investigate to ensure transparency ?
thanks 2 users thanked matelot1965 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 12/12/2017(UTC), lorna on 13/12/2017(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2017 09:18:50(UTC)
A Kurdziel

List of Crown Censures since April 1999 is here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/prosecutions/documents/crowncensures.htm

There is a short summary which to be honest is similar to what you get in the summary of court case. (Note it is always assumed that the recipient of the Crown Censure has “pleaded” guilty)

Hsquared14  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2017 11:09:21(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Definitely a career killer: I have heard rumours of knighthoods going missing after a Crown Censure. To people in the private sector this might not mean much but for senior civil servants getting a measly CBE when you were expecting a KBE is a real kick in the teeth.   

That is a really unpleasant and unnecessary remark and really not what I would expect from someone in this profession.  I am a Health and Safety Manager within the Civil Service - not in line for any sort of promotion or an honour on the honours list.  If my site got a Crown Censure then my job would most certainly be on the line as would those of other lower tier Civil Servants.

watcher  
#14 Posted : 12 December 2017 11:39:50(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: matelot1965 Go to Quoted Post
Good point biker were is the transparency ? Perhaps the Irish H+S Authority or an independent body of respected H+S professionals could investigate to ensure transparency ?

Any reason why you suggested the Irish H & S Authority?  Should we open it up and let the EU decide, with member states policing each other?

A Kurdziel  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2017 12:59:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Does anybody have any evidence that this incident is actually a cover up? That’s what the implication is. The idea of bringing in (at considerable expense) a foreign investigative agency to investigate what in the scheme of things was relatively minor incident (I know someone was hurt but it wasn’t a Buncefield or Grenfell) is a bit mad.  I am assuming this is all just a bit of banter combined with a lot of Schadenfreud.

matelot1965  
#16 Posted : 12 December 2017 18:03:01(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post
Any reason why you suggested the Irish H & S Authority?Should we open it up and let the EU decide, with member states policing each other?
No particular reason. It was just that they are obviously professionals in the investigating arena. I could have said the RSPCA as biker previously said were is the transparency if an agency is investigating themselves
RayRapp  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2017 20:25:09(UTC)
RayRapp

I don't think anyone is suggesting a cover up. However, it is about transparency and being seen to be impartial.

A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:32:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” The problem is of course the issue of expertise: the HSE are generally accepted as the experts on H&S related issues so, if they don’t lead investigations who will?  We could set up a special independent investigation unit but as this Crown Censure is the first time this has happened, they would not be very busy. If there was any allegations of a cover up then the authorities (eg the police) would intervene (eventually) to investigate. There might even be some publicity in the media to gee things along. I think a certain level of transparency exists but most of the time, people just can’t be bothered looking: if you really want to know more you can always make a Freedom of Information request

watcher  
#19 Posted : 13 December 2017 10:51:45(UTC)
watcher

Any reason why you suggested the Irish H & S Authority?Should we open it up and let the EU decide, with member states policing each other?
No particular reason. It was just that they are obviously professionals in the investigating arena. I could have said the RSPCA as biker previously said were is the transparency if an agency is investigating themselves

Well yes, they are clearly professional, but not sure why you would consider using a body from a foregin country.  Seemed very strange to me.  There is no comparison with the RSPCA

matelot1965  
#20 Posted : 13 December 2017 22:48:10(UTC)
matelot1965

Well yes, they are clearly professional, but not sure why you would consider using a body from a foregin country. Seemed very strange to me. There is no comparison with the RSPCA
I also mentioned perhaps an independent panel of highly respected H+S professionals as well ? Something that you have not yet commented on. The point was all about transparency what would be your suggestion to ensure transparency ?
watcher  
#21 Posted : 14 December 2017 10:36:54(UTC)
watcher

Matelot - I would agree that an independent body of professionals would offer transparency.  I'm not sure why you want me to comment on that.

What jumped out at me in your response was that we should get a H & S Authority from another country to investigate what, as  A Kurdziel said, was probably a relatively minor incident.  I wondered why?   Seemed very odd.

A Kurdziel  
#22 Posted : 14 December 2017 10:54:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

"an independent panel of highly respected H&S professionals "- you don't mean members of this forum?  

Realistically:

• who would select this panel?
  •  How would you know that they didn’t have a personal axe to grind?
  • As well as H&S knowledge would they have the legal knowledge to decide if an actual breach of the regulations had taken place (to the same standard as judge)?
  •  How would you appeal a decision?
  • What correction action or sanction would the panel be allowed to impose?
  • If it was decided  to prosecute individuals ( Crown Immunity only applies to organisations not people) would these hearings muddy the waters legally
  • How much would it cost- you’d have to hire a number of experts for several days and pay their expenses and arrange admin support for them. Just for one simple case.  

Edited by user 14 December 2017 10:57:17(UTC)  | Reason: Initially wrote meaningless drivel now it makes sense!

Messey  
#23 Posted : 14 December 2017 15:21:31(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

I don't think these faceless civil servants deserve an honour for doing what is after all their job, plus well paid and a good pension.

As for Crown Censure, still not convinced this is a commensurate sanction. The HSE have no issues prosecuting Local Authorities, this money comes out of public coffers and can affect public services. Not a good argument in my book.

Ray - Er, as one of these 'faceless civil servants', I can assure you I do indeed have a face, and a very handsome too!! My salary is OK , but below industry standard when taking into account the huge responsibilities I have. In any case, my job could most definitely not be described as 'well paid' by any means. In fact my pay has fallen in real terms after 7 years of austerity pay retraint. The pension is good, but my contributions are not cheap.

I have friends who work in the real world that are on a greater salary, get bonuses, subsidised canteens, private healthcare, clothing allowances, company cars and (to make this post seasonal) free Xmas parties paid for by their boss. We left work 1 hour early last night to attend ours (so effectively a Xmas gift of 1 hour's salary) - and even that was a local/unofficial agreement!.

I am not getting into a public v private employee debate, but I do get a bit cheesed off when some think working for Her Maj its an easy ride - its not.

However I do agree, 'honouring' senior civil servants for doing their job is crass, old fashioned and should form the central part of a review into the whole honours issue. Throwing a medal at a lollypop lady to justify the many dodgier awards to Govt big wigs needs to me modernised.

Lastly: Crown censure is a huge thing. Its not just career ending, its job ending. Who would employ me with that as part of my history? I know I will be sacked if any of the estate I look after receives a Censure from Crown Premises Fire Inspection Group. However, its got to be a very serious matter for this to happen, perhaps one which has been highlighted but not addressed, and almost certainly one where an individual or group of individuals have seriously messed up - so perhaps deserve being sacked. Its probably what would happen outside in the private sector

RayRapp  
#24 Posted : 14 December 2017 15:39:43(UTC)
RayRapp

Messey

My comment was just cheap throw away comment and no offence was meant. Indeed it was in relation to a previous comment about civil servants being given honours - I'm sure your'e not high enough up the ladder to worry about that.

For what it's worth, I work in local government...enough said!

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Messey on 14/12/2017(UTC)
matelot1965  
#25 Posted : 14 December 2017 23:19:48(UTC)
matelot1965

Matelot - I would agree that an independent body of professionals would offer transparency. I'm not sure why you want me to comment on that. What jumped out at me in your response was that we should get a H & S Authority from another country to investigate what, as A Kurdziel said, was probably a relatively minor incident. I wondered why? Seemed very odd.
Watcher ‘- It was purely a suggestion to promote debate on the issue of transparency I was not saying it was good or bad After all cross border investigations do occur in other areas such as Interpol for criminal investigations and as you are aware a breach of H+S law is a criminal offence and no that does not mean I think Interpol should be involved. So maybe not as odd as you think
matelot1965  
#26 Posted : 14 December 2017 23:23:49(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
"an independent panel of highly respected H&S professionals "- you don't mean members of this forum? Realistically:
    <li>who would select this panel?</li><li>How would you know that they didn’t have a personal axe to grind?</li><li>As well as H&amp;S knowledge would they have the legal knowledge to decide if an actual breach of the regulations had taken place (to the same standard as judge)?</li><li>How would you appeal a decision?</li><li>What correction action or sanction would the panel be allowed to impose? </li><li>If it was decided to prosecute individuals ( Crown Immunity only applies to organisations not people) would these hearings muddy the waters legally</li><li>How much would it cost- you’d have to hire a number of experts for several days and pay their expenses and arrange admin support for them. Just for one simple case. </li>
I don’t have all the answers and I wasn’t thinking that deeply about it lol