Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clane  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2018 13:04:26(UTC)
clane

Hi there, Apologies as I know this topic has been discussed on a few occasions before. We've decided to go down the route of investing in a h&s management system. This decision has been taken after spending a lot of time trying to devise our own but the continuous glitches and oversights we've encountered have made it both cumbersome and unreliable. I've already had a look through the old forum topics for people's suggestions about which one's they think are the best but very few actual suggestions are mentioned by name. If you could recommend a company I would really appreciate it with a particular emphasis on training management, incident recording and auditing. An idea of costings would also be helpful. 

Thanks in advance

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2018 22:05:33(UTC)
Bigmac1

What business are you in? Is it an integrated M.S, QMS,SMS?

Gary

lorna  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2018 07:48:41(UTC)
lorna

I'll PM you about a system that I DON'T recommend....

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2018 09:32:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have always been a bit suspicious of these ready-made management systems. To be totally honest a Health and Safety system is not made up of documents or databases but (sorry to sound a bit romantic) the hearts and minds of your staff. They from top to bottom must want to make H&S work in your business and no matter how clever the software you use if they don’t believe in it then it will fail. We are talking culture here.

A system by itself will not make H&S happen, all it can do is make it easier for the organisation to monitor and manage H&S. But it’s down to doing what YOU want to do. Many systems lumber you with someone else perceptions of what YOU need. At my current employer we are lumbered with an accident reporting system that lists 22 root causes- I didn’t choose this! You will need to spend time and money with the vendor getting a system that delivers for your business. I know of a government agency employing 15 000 staff who spent nearly 100 grand on a system plus 20 per year on support. They spend the best part of 18 months getting a system that they thought would give them what they want.  Can you invest that in your system: would the money be better spent on training and staff engagement (just a question)?

What is driving the decision to go for an on-line system; is it something that is being pushed onto you by your, insurers, auditors or something that management would like, to reassure themselves, that H&S is working?  Make sure that the underlining issues have been address before splashing out on these sorts of systems.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
lorna on 11/01/2018(UTC)
hopeful  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2018 12:17:09(UTC)
hopeful

It is difficult to recomend a system as it will really depend on your needs, the spec that you want fulfilled, structure/size etc as each organisation requires different things. I would recomend that you develop a high level spec and search the market place assessing the information to short list and then complete a tender process if needed. At that point costs can be discussed but you should be able to visit clients using the system and ask the provider and users about the pros and cons of a system. Costs can vary from £20k pa to £70k depending on the cost framework and your requirements as far as I can see.

Sorry this doesnt answer your question specifically, happy to have more detailed discussion via PM as I have procured a system in a previous organisation and about to go through the process again.

hopeful  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2018 12:21:35(UTC)
hopeful

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

I'll PM you about a system that I DON'T recommend....

I would also be interested in this

Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2018 19:51:04(UTC)
Bigmac1

It needs built bespoke in my opinion and not off the shelf, especially if you want to go for any accreditations.

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 11/01/2018(UTC)