Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Charlotte Bisatt  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2018 16:16:15(UTC)
Charlotte Bisatt

Hi all,

I have been asked to produce some pictorial method statement and risk assessment templates for our facilities team to use. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I wondered if anyone had any they'd be happy to share?

Many thanks

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2018 09:32:18(UTC)
WatsonD

I would not be happy to pass you over my RAMs, but I do use pictures to highlight the methods. That said, I don't think you need a special template for this anyway.

Think of it like putting together a haynes manual. Go out and observe the task being done. Ask question. Take notes and pictures along the way. When you get back to your desk, write the method out is if for the layperson, using bullet points to go with the pictures.

By doing this yourself you will create a much better document and will be able to really understand the tasks better. Not to mention the opportunity to question the person carrying out the operation as well to get a fuller appreciation of the job.

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2018 14:04:36(UTC)
JohnW

Charlotte, As WatsonD has suggested, the most valuable course of action is to do these pictorial documents yourselves, as a team, that way employees can have some satisfaction in having been consulted and contributed (rather than some non-specific freebie off the internet). Those documents can be used in training and can be readily updated when any of your systems of work change. There is a regulation with regard to employee consultation, which I recommend you be familiar with. There is free guidance on this subject if you browse the HSE website. John

Edited by user 05 January 2018 14:06:13(UTC)  | Reason: Paragraphs

Connor35037  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2018 15:59:43(UTC)
Connor35037

I agree with John W-the photos should be of your own employees using their own equipment in their own workplace rather than generic photos.

Note also that unless you compress the photos, the documents will take up a lot of memory if stored electronically.