Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewjb1  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2018 09:21:47(UTC)
andrewjb1

Hi

I am really struggling with my organisations communication and culture at the moment, they have implemented a new communication strategy and nothing can be communicated to employee's or senior management without being directed through my line manager first.

I’m finding this is really affecting the culture and is a barrier to open communication, especially when advising senior management as I find the advise and key messages get misinterpreted or changed.

Does anyone have any advise or experience of this or something I can use which I can use to support my argument that open communication is essential for developing a good health and safety culture?

Thanks

Andrew

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2018 09:33:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

All I can offer is sympathy! In my previous job in the supposedly bureaucratic civil service, I could set up a policy and have it adopted in 24 hours if needs must. Generally, I had the support of my agency CEO and the union. In my current role in Higher Education anything that smells of policy has to be drafted, passed onto my line manager and then onto their line manager and then onto the unions (there are 3 of them, which might be a reason for this system) and then sent to the HSW committee for approval.  I have just posted a new set of safety signs and I am being told that they “contravene the policy” and need to be discussed with the unions and everybody must be consulted before I can put them up.  The policy was agreed in December, apparently by everyone but obviously some people haven’t read it and they want more consultation.

Only been in work for an hour: I want to go home!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
andrewjb1 on 15/01/2018(UTC)
WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2018 09:59:18(UTC)
WatsonD

Sounds like a real breakdown in the companies culture. Am I right in assuming something has happened to betray trust?

You have a gatekeeper situation here. What happens if your line manager is off sick or disappears of the face of the earth - does everybody stop communicating until s/he returns?

All companies rely on communication to function and bad communication is the root of most business issues.

As I said it smacks of a lack of trust. In whcih case can you open up avenues for communication? How about setting up sanctioned for key issues, with all the right people invited. Your line manager will not be able to be present at all, but if there is a senior member of staff chairing, along with minutes being recorded this will allow them to view the minutes and therefore know about any/everything that was stated and decided upon?

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/01/2018(UTC)
James Robinson  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2018 13:41:58(UTC)
James Robinson

New communication strategy - or knee jerk reaction to something that's not gone how it was intended.

Sometimes rather than pushing against something we don't agree with, the exact opposite can achieve greater results. So, this is what I would do. Divert all phones and email to my line manager. Ask permission to respond to either from line manager. Line manager asks me to attend meeting - ask line manager if ok to communicate reply, then send reply. Basically snow them under. At some point they will say your being silly, over-zealous, etc. your not, your following process, and until you get it in writing you will continue to do so.

As a sarcastic point, also state that if you see a fire, you will now come and tell your line manager, as setting off the alarm is a form of communication to others on site, without going through the correct process.

Unbelievable - all the best - and have some fun with it, rather than getting you down.

James

andrewjb1  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2018 09:53:31(UTC)
andrewjb1

Thanks everyone for the replies, i like the sarcastic attitude approach. 

Its not so much a trust issue but they don’t like to hear bad news. They have cut resources so much which is making the task of managing health and safety effectively virtually impossible.

I think the protocol and hoop jumping must be an educational establishment culture thing. 

Definitely wont let it get me down, I can only do so much and will definitely have fun with it! 

jontyjohnston  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2018 15:26:53(UTC)
jontyjohnston

Know where you are coming from Andrew!

I got pulled last year (not that pulled!) by HR and told I should not have sent an email around staff looking to see if anyone needed their safe pass renewed as I had a training session booked. When I asked why I could not do this as I regularly send important safety emails to staff (you all know the sort) I was told that it did not comply with the new internal communications policy. When I advised that I was not aware of the new policy I was informed....now wait for it....that the policy was only just approved by senior management but the internal comms advising staff of the policy had not been sent....I kid you not....now I just play the game and dont get myself annoyed!

roll on 2019.....

thanks 2 users thanked jontyjohnston for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 16/01/2018(UTC), lorna on 17/01/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2018 15:49:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: jontyjohnston Go to Quoted Post

I got pulled last year (not that pulled!) by HR and told I should not have sent an email around staff looking to see if anyone needed their safe pass renewed as I had a training session booked. When I asked why I could not do this as I regularly send important safety emails to staff (you all know the sort) I was told that it did not comply with the new internal communications policy. When I advised that I was not aware of the new policy I was informed....now wait for it....that the policy was only just approved by senior management but the internal comms advising staff of the policy had not been sent....I kid you not....now I just play the game and dont get myself annoyed!

roll on 2019.....

Obvious really; you must be able to read minds! This is of course not specified in your job description but it does not have to be, as you can read minds!

But trying to read HR minds is a challenge… well first you need establish that they exist!

jontyjohnston  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2018 16:27:06(UTC)
jontyjohnston

Aha! I knew you were going to post that reply....given I can read minds.

I imagine the elusive HR may require a particle accelerator or a hubble telescope to see them allowing for a micro or macro existence...mmmmm...

Funny I dont know what I was about to do there, if only I could read my own mind....

thanks 1 user thanked jontyjohnston for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/01/2018(UTC)
WatsonD  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2018 09:15:12(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: jontyjohnston Go to Quoted Post

roll on 2019.....

When does a policy become a company policy? Not exactly the same circumstances as yourself, but worth consideration when introducing new policies: https://www.icaew.com/ar...e-of-changes-to-policies

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2018 09:34:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Looking at comms policies, particularly internal comms policy it seems to me that most are intended to limit the flow of information and ideas around an organisation. There might be a variety of reasons for this but often it looks more like trying to create a culture of divide and rule, which might make “running” the organisation easier: only one message , one approach to issues etc but of course that leads to a ” yes man” culture and silo thinking, and harms the organisation in the long run.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
lorna on 18/01/2018(UTC)
chris42  
#11 Posted : 17 January 2018 13:48:41(UTC)
chris42

Can’t help being reminded of the funny verse “The Plan”. I really do think this is what happens more often than we know.

For those that have not seen this it is on the internet and here is an example ( NB there is a word which is 4 letters and starts with S in case you are easily offended within the linked article)

https://safetyrisk.net/s417-happens/

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
jontyjohnston on 17/01/2018(UTC)
biker1  
#12 Posted : 17 January 2018 16:42:32(UTC)
biker1

I can sympathise with the situation. I was on a placement with a company some years ago, and discovered an issue that I needed to inform all staff about, as there was a real potential of harm. I found an all-staff option on the intranet, and sent around the information. Shortly afterwards, the corporate communications manager appeared and told me off. I just nodded, and eventually he went. At the end of the day, I had got my message around, something I think the IOSH Code of Conduct would support. If he wanted to make an issue of it to justify his existence, so be it, but then I was only on placement so could walk away from it after a few months.