Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BuildingManOJ  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2018 15:21:42(UTC)
BuildingManOJ

Hi All,

Looking for other thoughts on this, we have had 2 activations now from a tenant kitchen area in a multi tenanted building which is caused by burnt food in mircowave and toast from toaster.

My first thoughts was to replace the smoke detectors with heat dectectors. Is there any downside to this or what would the best alternative solution be?

Thanks

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2018 15:59:02(UTC)
Hsquared14

There isn't really a downside to doing it and it should stop the false alarms.  I have no idea why people put smoke detectors in kitchen areas in the first place the BS tells you to put the right type of detector in the right place to match the risks and reduce the likelihood of false alarms and increase the likelihood of a real fire being responded to correctly.

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2018 16:49:30(UTC)
RayRapp

I agree, heat detectors in the kitchen is a must if you want to prevent unwanted false fire alarms. The alternative is to remove smoke detector altogether and make sure you have one in the hallway/landing. I prefer the first option where the heat detector will not activate until it reaches 52c.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2018 19:31:53(UTC)
Kate

It's normal practice to have heat detectors in kitchen areas - not smoke detectors, for this very reason.

johnwatt  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2018 13:25:58(UTC)
johnwatt

In Scotland it is already clearly laid out in building regulations to have a heat detector in kitchens. The Scottish Government make this mandatory for let properties. 

Cannot imigine this is significantly different elsewhere in the UK. 

SNS  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:57:12(UTC)
SNS

Agree with the previous comments, but what does your FRA say??

Who designed the system and what type is it ?

Not looking at blame placing but getting the design and specification correct in the first place would prevent a lot of redesign and re-work.

SamParker  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2018 20:54:03(UTC)
SamParker

Firex produced a recent webinar which I believe is available on their site, they were displaying a system which required two detectors to be in fault before setting off the alarm, with an accessible hush button for the occupant that would allow a single detector to be hushed but would override and sound the alarm if two triggered. On the short answer, I would exchange the smoke detector for a heat detector, from my experience this is what is fitted in most kitchen or steamy environments in commercial and industry units.
SBH  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2018 23:39:01(UTC)
SBH

Change to a heat detector and ask the maintenance company to safety address the device in the fire panel if addressable. Ask all tenants to clean toasters regularly, and to stay with the appliances whilst operating them SBH
O'Donnell54548  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2018 08:13:12(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Firstly these are not false alarms, the detectors are doing an excellent job of raising an alarm soon enough so that the situation can be dealt with before it becomes life/property threatening. Heat detectors are generally less sensitive than smoke detectors so if your tenants are elderly or vulnerable the consequences could have been far more serious than 'unwanted alarms'. Perhaps you could look at how you react to alarm activations, taking into consideration the profile of your tenants, before considering changing your system.

pl53  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2018 08:25:15(UTC)
pl53

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

There isn't really a downside to doing it and it should stop the false alarms.  I have no idea why people put smoke detectors in kitchen areas in the first place the BS tells you to put the right type of detector in the right place to match the risks and reduce the likelihood of false alarms and increase the likelihood of a real fire being responded to correctly.

I disagree about smoke detectors in kitchens. We have one in our kitchen at home. It quite often lets me know when my dinner is ready.

firesafety101  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2018 13:28:50(UTC)
firesafety101

pl53 does that include Salad.

As said the alarms are not faults of equipment but fault of the person who require smoke detectors.

Rate of rise detectors should be in the kitchen.

If installing smoke detectors outside the cooking area ensure they are well away from potential smoke from burnt toast.