Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Awosanya30412  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2018 09:54:05(UTC)
Awosanya30412

All, would appreciate if you can please share your experience/best practice/guide/requirements on cleaning or sanitization of  PPEs (safety shoes, safety glasses, hard hats) for re-use by visitors to a company site.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2018 15:27:21(UTC)
RayRapp

As a rule PPE does not require sanitising after use, unless it gets extremely soiled or damaged. Shoes/boots are not normally provided as PPE because it is often impractical to stock every size. Rather, visitors are required to wear their own within the standard required for staff or they will not be allowed access to site.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2018 16:16:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Being in mischievous mood, I could ask the question why do visitors require any sort of PPE?

If it is because there is some risk to their Health and Safety in that area which requires PPE, then that would suggest to me that the risk is too great for them just to come along for a visit. The only people in that area should be those actually working in there and they should be provided with suitable PPE based on a risk assessment.

On the other hand if the site just has a blanket PPE policy, then get them temporary disposable coats etc. Hard hats should not need sanitising unless someone is caught short.

Do you really think that there is risk of things being dropped their feet so that they need safety shoes?  Will they need manual handling training as well since they might be helping to shift things about: hence the shoes?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
KEITH ROWSON on 06/02/2018(UTC)
hilary  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2018 08:36:24(UTC)
hilary

We do use shoes as PPE for visitors, particularly those from abroad who do not want to cart steel toe caps in their luggage.  I use the Kiwi Shoe Deo Fresh (there are other makes and I don't have shares in Kiwi) which is very effective and quite fun to use!

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2018 14:18:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: hilary Go to Quoted Post

We do use shoes as PPE for visitors, particularly those from abroad who do not want to cart steel toe caps in their luggage.  I use the Kiwi Shoe Deo Fresh (there are other makes and I don't have shares in Kiwi) which is very effective and quite fun to use!

I am worried about the idea that the foot deodoriser is “fun to use”. Do we need to look at the SDS to find out if any of the ingredients have psychoactive properties?

hilary  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2018 08:21:52(UTC)
hilary

I'm a very boring person and, therefore, my idea of fun cannot be taken as an industry standard of the word "fun". 

Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2018 10:14:29(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Totally agree with you on this.

I hate it when sales directors decide it is a good idea to give clients a tour of the workshops for who knows what reason, it is not a playground, it is a workshop. If they want everyone to see how good our workshops are then show them a video.

That being said we did have overshoes that have steel toes and IMHO they are more dangerous than standard footwear. 

The one thing that does concern me though is spreading diseases such as conjuntivitis by sharing safety eye wear. I don't know if this has happened or in fact if it could?? I do know though I would feel uncomfortable having to use pre worn specs. 

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Being in mischievous mood, I could ask the question why do visitors require any sort of PPE?

If it is because there is some risk to their Health and Safety in that area which requires PPE, then that would suggest to me that the risk is too great for them just to come along for a visit. The only people in that area should be those actually working in there and they should be provided with suitable PPE based on a risk assessment.

On the other hand if the site just has a blanket PPE policy, then get them temporary disposable coats etc. Hard hats should not need sanitising unless someone is caught short.

Do you really think that there is risk of things being dropped their feet so that they need safety shoes?  Will they need manual handling training as well since they might be helping to shift things about: hence the shoes?

AL58  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2018 10:59:36(UTC)
AL58

Charlie Brown Just an observation but when you go to see the dentist & they pass you safety glasses do you give it a second thought . I know I don't but now you've but the thought in my head !!!!

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2018 11:12:52(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: AL58 Go to Quoted Post

Charlie Brown Just an observation but when you go to see the dentist & they pass you safety glasses do you give it a second thought . I know I don't but now you've but the thought in my head !!!!

Because if you reject the safety glasses the dentist might ask you “Is it Safe?”- See marathon man for information!

Charlie Brown  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2018 11:13:05(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I haven't been to the dentist for years but actually, just thinking I should! I shall have to ask them for some fresh ones.
Originally Posted by: AL58 Go to Quoted Post