Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smandeir  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2018 08:48:51(UTC)
smandeir

A few weeks ago (mid December) we had an incident where a floating platform of a double deck trailer rose on its own after it had been set in the desired position and left unattended. The Anderson lead had been left in and it was some time later before it rose. In this instance it caused the dock leveller to fall off the platform, to the ground. Luckily, no-one was injured. After a thorough investigation by the trailer people, no fault was found.

Yesterday we had a similar incident happen, but this time it pulled the dock leveller and its frame out of the dock, but the Anderson lead was disconnected in time to stop it going any further. In both cases no one was near enough to operate it.

It happened on 2 different trailers and 2 different docks but both in the same depot.

Has any of you heard of such a thing happening before and if so do you know what the root cause was?

Our guys have many years experience with logistics and none of them has heard of anything like this before. The only common denominator I can see is that there had been snow the day before and it was bitterly cold, only just above freezing point.

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2018 13:37:40(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Thats a new one for me. I've had them drop before on their own but never rise! It must be going under power to move a docklever (I'm suprised the leveler gave up before the deck assuming its not a manual leveller).

I would remove the Anderson lead once the deck has been lowered which will stop it from going up, untill you can solve the problem which sounds like an electrical fault somewhere. If the trailers are similiar make and age it could be a competent starting to fail.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2018 21:07:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Different trailers, different dates, same location? Any CCTV of activity? Or on a simple physics scale - air/water contamination in the hydraulics?
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2018 21:07:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Different trailers, different dates, same location? Any CCTV of activity? Or on a simple physics scale - air/water contamination in the hydraulics?