Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Khan44511  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2018 12:10:25(UTC)
Khan44511

Hi Good afternoon colleagues, One of the engineering company I deal with uses less hazardous substances onsite mainly Mineral oils, Coolants White Spirit, Detergents and Bleach. I would like someone to assist me with a Qualitative COSHH Assessment methodology and I will be highly obliged. 

Edited by user 08 February 2018 12:59:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JohnW  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2018 10:57:24(UTC)
JohnW

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2018 11:01:31(UTC)
JohnW

Examples, remember it is the TASK you are assessing http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/riskassess/index.htm
thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 12/02/2018(UTC)
JohnW  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2018 11:16:08(UTC)
JohnW

You can create your form like this https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_426493_en.doc
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2018 13:51:29(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post
Examples, remember it is the TASK you are assessing http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/riskassess/index.htm

Always look at the process you are doing. You don’t COSHH assesses substances as such just the task they are involved in.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:17:28(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

Always look at the process you are doing. You don’t COSHH assesses substances as such just the task they are involved in.

I would add to that how they are handled and stored should also be in your COSHH assessment.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:40:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

You also don’t need a separate COSHH assessment for each substance you are storing for example.  I would not store incompatibles together but the main thing is to make sure that;

• You store minimum quantities
  • You keep the storage area tidy
  • Make sure that you(and your staff) know what you have in your inventory
  • Rotate the stock
  • Get rid of  surplus reagents
  • Have a plan for spillages etc
chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:53:26(UTC)
chris.packham

The risk assessment has to be based on the task and the chemical hazards that are present when the task is carried out - not what you take out of storage! This is covered in the current ACoP for COSHH:

Paragraph 10 - Employers should regard a substance as hazardous to health if it is hazardous in the form in which it may occur in the work activity. A substance hazardous to health need not be just a chemical compound, it can also include mixtures of compounds, micro-organisms or natural materials, such as flour, stone or wood dust.

In fact, any substance can become a hazard to health, even water, depending upon the circumstances. The same chemical can present different hazards when used for different tasks. 

So: Start with the task - what happens during the task - what chemicals are used during the task and how are they used - what is the resultant hazard - what exposure is there and what can be the consequences.

Chris