Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wallett27275  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2018 19:15:27(UTC)
Wallett27275

I have a client who are a large coach company. Historically they have had the fire extinguishers in their main office checked by a fire extinguisher company annually but not the ones on the coaches. They argued that these are checked during MOT. I argued that they check they are physically there, the tamper proof pin is there and have not been discharged but that’s it. I had a meeting today with the company owner. He said had the fire extinguishers checked on the coaches but he’s checked with other coach companies in the area and none of them have their extinguishers checked. He feels I’m being over zealous on this issue and I get the feeling it won’t be done again. I feel pretty sure that I am right but would value your opinions.

Edited by user 09 February 2018 19:17:12(UTC)  | Reason: Improve terminology

Messey  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2018 23:59:36(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
The only vehicles regulated to carry a fire extinguisher are those carrying Dangerous Goods under ADR. .

Sorry this is not true:

Coaches, buses, minibuses and in some areas limos and taxis need fire extinguishers, and that firefighting equipment must be maintained............

Road Vehicle Construction & Use Regs 86 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

IVAs for coaches - Guidance http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
jonc on 12/02/2018(UTC)
Psycho  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2018 09:22:11(UTC)
Psycho

The Coach will FAIL its MOT if it does not have an extinguisher unless of course if its a land rover

http://www.trafalgarfire.co.uk/_webedit/uploaded-files/All%20Files/FIA%20Guidance%20Notes/Fire%20Extinguisher%20Advice%20Guide%202%20Passenger%20Transport%20Coaches%2C%20Buses%20and%20Mini-Buses.pdf

And it should be maintained

Ensuring extinguishers are subject to a suitable maintenance regime carried out by a competent person, in accordance with BS 5306-3

abnd the Road vehicle regulations article 42

Fire extinguishing apparatus

42.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a minibus first used on or after 1st April 1988 unless it carries suitable and efficient apparatus for extinguishing fire which is of a type specified in Part I of Schedule 7.

(2) The apparatus referred to in paragraph (1) above shall be—

(a)readily available for use;

(b)clearly marked with the appropriate British Standards Institution specification number; and

(c)maintained in good and efficient working order.

(3) This regulation does not apply to a vehicle manufactured by Land Rover U.K. Limited and known as the Land Rover.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2018 11:57:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Schedule 7 of the 1986 regulations refers to an extinguisher meeting BS 5423:1980

Other than a 1987 revision this standard was withdrawn in 1997, and since 2004 was replaced by BS EN 3-7

The DVSA inspection manual for Public Service Vehicles still refers to BS 5423 but acknowledges EN 3 - it also ignores the reading on any fitted gauge

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2018 11:57:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Schedule 7 of the 1986 regulations refers to an extinguisher meeting BS 5423:1980

Other than a 1987 revision this standard was withdrawn in 1997, and since 2004 was replaced by BS EN 3-7

The DVSA inspection manual for Public Service Vehicles still refers to BS 5423 but acknowledges EN 3 - it also ignores the reading on any fitted gauge