Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seanhargadon  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:08:15(UTC)
seanhargadon

Hi All,

Quick question regarding frequency of Toilet checks. I manage Health 7 Safety for a large Call centre comprising of 1400 people in 4 buildings on 2 sites.  The issues of Toilet checks has come up in one of my recent audits, leading to risks of Slips, trips and Falls.  I'm building a case to fight our cleaners who say twice a day is enough. Can anyone online give answer the following questions?

How many times per day do you check?

Company name:

I would really appreciate the help from follow professionals

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2018 09:24:10(UTC)
Hsquared14

Twice per day should be enough.  My heart sinks when I see those boards on the toilet door that say "These toilets were checked at ......." and they are still filthy.  The worst mess I have seen is in Sainsbury's Didcot where the store manager had apparently checked the toilets 10mins before I went in and hadn't seen the mess at all.  Sounds like it is user education you need not checks by cleaners. 

DHeptinstall  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2018 13:03:09(UTC)
DHeptinstall

I would say that twice daily is enough. Staff should be reporting any slip hazards (spills etc.) upon finding them which will enable the swift clean up.

watcher  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2018 13:19:42(UTC)
watcher

Is it checking twice a day, or actually cleaning twice a day.  Either way, twice should be enough.  I'm sure staff are able to report any issues occurring outside these times.

I'm wondering why you are building a case to "fight" your cleaners.  Doesn't sound like a collaborative workplace, or a way I would approach implementing audit findings.

And why do you want our company names?

Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2018 18:54:24(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Wot e said, And why can't the people who create the mess tidy up after themselves or mop up any spills they make and why can't someone who notices a wet floor not grab a mop and clean it up so nobody else breaks their neck slipping over on it?

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post

Is it checking twice a day, or actually cleaning twice a day.  Either way, twice should be enough.  I'm sure staff are able to report any issues occurring outside these times.

I'm wondering why you are building a case to "fight" your cleaners.  Doesn't sound like a collaborative workplace, or a way I would approach implementing audit findings.

And why do you want our company names?

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2018 19:31:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Call centres... last bastion of the tea trolley to keep operators at their desks making & receiving calls

So in the short period they can actually leave their post for a nature call.....

You don't want a stand up with your cleaners unless you have an alternative lined up who will:

1) Clean more frequently

2) Do it cheaper

3) Not revert to less frequent cleaning when they work out the costings are totally wrong

4) Get you a bad reputation for switching from the devil you know to the angel you don't

Why not ring Nev of TV fame - he could probably give pointers on running call centres (seem to recall one method of demotion was to make an operator the tea server). Miss your call targets & you get cleaner duties for the day.

P.S. individuals & businesses should not be readily identifiable on the forum (many of our employers also have strict disciplinary rules that may end up in dismissal for naming names in public) so it is not on to ask for a company name

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2018 19:31:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Call centres... last bastion of the tea trolley to keep operators at their desks making & receiving calls

So in the short period they can actually leave their post for a nature call.....

You don't want a stand up with your cleaners unless you have an alternative lined up who will:

1) Clean more frequently

2) Do it cheaper

3) Not revert to less frequent cleaning when they work out the costings are totally wrong

4) Get you a bad reputation for switching from the devil you know to the angel you don't

Why not ring Nev of TV fame - he could probably give pointers on running call centres (seem to recall one method of demotion was to make an operator the tea server). Miss your call targets & you get cleaner duties for the day.

P.S. individuals & businesses should not be readily identifiable on the forum (many of our employers also have strict disciplinary rules that may end up in dismissal for naming names in public) so it is not on to ask for a company name

S Gibson  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2018 12:25:23(UTC)
S Gibson

Originally Posted by: DHeptinstall Go to Quoted Post

I would say that twice daily is enough. Staff should be reporting any slip hazards (spills etc.) upon finding them which will enable the swift clean up.