Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boden31904  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2018 07:57:26(UTC)
Boden31904

Good morning all.

I can't find any guidance on this topic and would appreciate your opinion.

As a contractor to all the big construction PC's we have to produce CoSHH Assessments for the materials/substances we use/store on site. Nowt wrong with that.

The CoSHH Assessment I have produced covers all the usual suspects- fire, handling, storage, disposal etc etc. I have also made it quite specific to include what we are doing with it, how much we are using, when we are using it, etc etc.

As a contractor, it is our responsibility to ensure safe use/storage of this material. The material has been suitably assessed and the RAMS accepted by the PC.

My question is this:

Why does the PC need to have a copy of the safety data sheet?

The information in my CoSHH Assessment has all been based on the SDS. so what is it's use to a PC? Any info 'they' require is detail in the CoSHH assessment.

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:16:16(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I would think it's corporate laziness in asking for so much information. Their procedure probably says gathering information given in a list. Nobody has ever challenged or can be bothered to change it. What has fire got to do with COSHH?
Boden31904  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:27:50(UTC)
Boden31904

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post
I would think it's corporate laziness in asking for so much information. Their procedure probably says gathering information given in a list. Nobody has ever challenged or can be bothered to change it. What has fire got to do with COSHH?

Good point Ian, I'm not sure why fire is on it.

I suppose if you are on fire it could be 'hazardous to your health?'

jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:29:40(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Flammable/ explosive chemicals, those with low flash/ ignition points etc and possible fumes given off

Edited by user 14 February 2018 08:31:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boden31904  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:32:15(UTC)
Boden31904

Originally Posted by: jodieclark1510 Go to Quoted Post

Flammable/ explosive chemicals, those with low flash/ ignition points etc and possible fumes given off

I think Ian's point is that fire hazards would be covered in a FRA rather than a CoSHH Assessment.

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2018 09:08:22(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Also DSEAR for flammable liquids and gases. I still find it perturbing that so many experienced HSE still include fire as part of COSHH
Kate  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2018 10:25:24(UTC)
Kate

There's nothing wrong with doing a risk assessment that covers fire as well as health risks in the use of chemicals - it is often more convenient to do it this way.

A reason for wanting the sds could be that in the event of someone being hospitalised as a result of an exposure, the sds is informative for the paramedics / doctors.

Another might be just to ensure that you have actually got it yourselves!

thanks 3 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 14/02/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 14/02/2018(UTC), hilary on 15/02/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2018 12:45:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

And after everyone has packed up and left site those various document door stops handed to the client at some future point allows them to flick back and see what the available information was regarding the materials in the constuction - not the controls used whilst the construction was taking place

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2018 12:45:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

And after everyone has packed up and left site those various document door stops handed to the client at some future point allows them to flick back and see what the available information was regarding the materials in the constuction - not the controls used whilst the construction was taking place

firesafety101  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:03:13(UTC)
firesafety101

http://fais.build/PDF2/SDS/Spray%20Paint.pdf
Number 5 Fire fighting measures.
Methinks some here have never done a COSHH assessment
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2018 22:01:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Methinks some see a COSHH assessment as cut copy and re-jig the SDS content

Others have a distinct comprehension issue (endemic in construction) that an SDS is a COSHH sheet

Just finished another long discussion with a supposed black card "professional" about my legal obligation to provide a COSHH sheet and why they were completely wrong.

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2018 22:01:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Methinks some see a COSHH assessment as cut copy and re-jig the SDS content

Others have a distinct comprehension issue (endemic in construction) that an SDS is a COSHH sheet

Just finished another long discussion with a supposed black card "professional" about my legal obligation to provide a COSHH sheet and why they were completely wrong.

hilary  
#13 Posted : 15 February 2018 08:51:04(UTC)
hilary

I would ask for Material Safety Data Sheets as well.  You are asking me to accept that you are competent to carry out a COSHH assessment for products to be used at my site, and I'm not saying you're not, but .... any spills, accidents, disposal, leeching, etc that occurs on my site is my responsibility and I would feel a lot happier if I had the "official" version of the paperwork.

I am probably anal, but would you accept a COSHH assessment carried out by me as "acceptable" without seeing the MSDS for yourself?

NB  I do a combined COSHH/DSEAR assessment for chemicals so I include flammable, oxidising and explosive as well on mine.  We have no zoned areas so it makes sense to do it this way.

Edited by user 15 February 2018 08:59:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified