Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ros7  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2018 20:12:09(UTC)
Ros7

Hi,

Please can I have some advice.

We are having some racking put up in our warehouse, this was meant to be done 2 months ago but got put on hold.

Inbetween this time my manager (H&S manager) has left - he was dealing with the racking installation and now it has landed on my lap as I am currently the responsible person - H&S co-ordinator.

I have been asked what H&S do I need to put in place before allowing the instalation to start.

I have been told we don't need CDM by the guy over seeing the prodject for our company? but he has asked me to tell him what needs to be done to ensure our staff and the contarctors are safe....

I have my NEBOSH cert but that only touched on CDM so looking for some helpful advice please as I want to remain compliant.

Thanks in advance

Ros.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2018 21:28:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your "expert" should know - if they don't then the project should be halted until the business as a whole is working from one script. Stand your ground "I currently don't know, will investigate and get back to you". Keep it documented (and keep copies readily available for when you are not at site).
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ros7 on 15/02/2018(UTC), Ros7 on 15/02/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2018 21:28:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your "expert" should know - if they don't then the project should be halted until the business as a whole is working from one script. Stand your ground "I currently don't know, will investigate and get back to you". Keep it documented (and keep copies readily available for when you are not at site).
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ros7 on 15/02/2018(UTC), Ros7 on 15/02/2018(UTC)
Shopland23872  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2018 22:21:55(UTC)
Shopland23872

The first thing you need to do is get a structural engineer to check the concrete floor. He will also need the calculations for the point loading of the racking feet. This will be provided by the racking supplier, calculated at the maximum SWL of the racking. Just remember that for if example each bay can hold 200kg,that is a total of 2 tonnes, plus the weight of the racking. He will then be able to calculate point load on each foot (the weight will not necessarily be equally spread over the feet) and calculate whether the floor is structurally sound for the calculated weights. Make sure that whoever you use has PI insurance (ask to see a copy) then ring the insurers to validate it. The same will apply to your walls if the racking is to be fixed with wall ties (I am not sure which racking you have selected). Once all that is complete you will need to have a specific design, you can then prepare your RAMS etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Shopland23872 for this useful post.
Ros7 on 18/02/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2018 22:43:01(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Hi Ros,

Assuming the contractors are a professional and reputable company they will have determined the suitability of the proposed installation at the quote stage and should have all the documentary evidence to support their proposal. They will also have developed their own RAMS and have copies of the qualifications, licences etc for each of their workers. That's probably a good place to start.

If all that is as it should be then you need to consider all of the hazards that present themselves to the staff and visitors to the site, can the area to be racked out be fenced off? are there any environmental concerns such as dust, sparks, chemicals and how are these going to be controlled? can the work be carried out during the weekend when there are no other workers in the area?

Have fun, it isn't that daunting once you get started but as Roundtuit alluded to, don't let them railroad you, take your time and document everything. If your managers want it done in a hurry then tell them you do not have the experience and they need to get someone who does.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
Ros7 on 18/02/2018(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2018 09:00:37(UTC)
Bigmac1

I would look at the competency of the contractor as CDM most certainly does apply.

Tread careful Ros

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
Ros7 on 18/02/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2018 09:39:44(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Thanks Bigmack, I got caught up in the other stuff without pointing out the main thing which is that yes CDM does apply and as part of the responsibilities under CDM the client needs to consider the other bits I wrote.
Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

I would look at the competency of the contractor as CDM most certainly does apply.

Tread careful Ros

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
Ros7 on 18/02/2018(UTC)
thunderchild  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2018 10:43:35(UTC)
thunderchild

I was in the same situation in October last year, we were going to do it in-house and I put my foot down and said we couldn't do it. I was univesally disagreed with. Needless to say I left at the beginning of December. 

As part of your contactror competency I would check they Have SEMA, this will show that they know what they are doing. Check the certificates are in date. The external contractor they did look at (who was dirty cheap) had let his SEMA lapse, again I put my foot down......again I didn't win brownie points.

thanks 1 user thanked thunderchild for this useful post.
Ros7 on 18/02/2018(UTC)
Ros7  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2018 16:33:03(UTC)
Ros7

Thanks everyone,

I have been asked to do a walkround with the project manager on Monday" to ensure we are ok to start"

My answer will certanly be NO, not untill you have provided me with all the relivant paper work and I have had time to go through it and come to a decision based on legislaton and complaince.

I do feel like i'm being rail roaded into agreement because they wanted this done two months ago, but I am not going to let this happen.

Your advice has given me a greater understanding of what I now need to do.

Thanks again,

Ros.

Edited by user 18 February 2018 16:33:55(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

Adams29600  
#10 Posted : 26 February 2018 14:10:48(UTC)
Adams29600

Someone above mentioned SEMA - a very good place to start.

SEMA is the Storage |Equipment Manufacturers Association. They give guidance on racking and racking inspection, including training.

Their guidance has the same status as ACoPs

So if your racking installer is SEMA aproved, they should (?) have already asked all the relevant questions and should be offering to instal a system that is compliant but will still require ongoing inspection.

The SEMA users course and inspection course are well worth attending if you use racking.

thanks 1 user thanked Adams29600 for this useful post.
jakatac1@gmail.com on 28/02/2018(UTC)