Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy14  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:19:36(UTC)
Andy14

Good afternoon All,

The company I work for have a high turnover of agency personnel.  All are currently inducted in-house by myself prior to commencing work.  Due to shift timings and the impact on my time, it has been suggested that we ask the recruitment agencies to perform the induction, prior to a worker arriving on site.

One agency claims to do this for other businesses and whilst I see the immediate pro's, I can also see a few cons eg. quality control, actual conduct of induction etc.  I also question how we would stand with regards to delegation of duties etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area?

Regards and thanks 

fiesta  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:27:10(UTC)
fiesta

Hi Andy,

We're in a similar situtation. Our agencies give all operatives a general H&S induction and ensure they have suitable Manual Handling training in place, but we then give a short site specific induction on site. I'd be interested to see what others think. Andy

thanks 1 user thanked fiesta for this useful post.
Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:34:00(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Agency workers are operating under your instruction and are working in an environment that is not familiar to them and the company that employs them may not share the same values as you so should ideally be inducted by yourselves, especially the site specific components.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
RayRapp  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:14:55(UTC)
RayRapp

I agree with above post, the responsibility lies with those employing personnel at the site. The agency may never provide an induction for various reasons. You don't comment whether the work is related to CDM?

In the past agency staff have visited site purely for an induction. If at night then someone can be delegated to carry out the task.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:50:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your induction is clearly documented and repeatable, you have assessed the first few run throughs by the agency and quality check on an ad-hoc basis where is the problem? The paperwork signs against the induction material not the provider.

At one employment I received complaint I was never available when the contractor "just" turned up (planning and scheduling arguments aside) the solution was a pool of induction staff - monitoring sessions I even found my poor jokes to break the monotiny being recycled

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC), Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:50:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your induction is clearly documented and repeatable, you have assessed the first few run throughs by the agency and quality check on an ad-hoc basis where is the problem? The paperwork signs against the induction material not the provider.

At one employment I received complaint I was never available when the contractor "just" turned up (planning and scheduling arguments aside) the solution was a pool of induction staff - monitoring sessions I even found my poor jokes to break the monotiny being recycled

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC), Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC)
hilary  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2018 09:12:10(UTC)
hilary

I also do Agency Worker inductions which are many and onerous, but I also find them very useful as a risk assessment tool.  When doing the induction and talking to the worker you can assess how seriously they are taking the information - are they listening? do they care?

Anyone not appearing to take it all in or displaying the right attitude is flagged up to the Leading Hand for special attention as they are the ones liable to have the accidents.

thanks 2 users thanked hilary for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 15/02/2018(UTC), Andy14 on 16/02/2018(UTC)
Andy14  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2018 12:46:33(UTC)
Andy14

Hi All,

A belated thankyou to all for insight into your experience in this area.

It is a small manufacturing site.  Prior to my arrival the induction was pretty poor, if given at all I suspect.  Coming from a high haz industry background I wanted to up the standards, hence a proper sit down presentation and site tour.  Some agency staff will stay a while whilst others are gone after one shift (probably better money down the road).

I prefer on site induction and I agree with Hilary about being able to assess and get a feel for people, which I can flag up to Production Management.  Other sites within our group have follwed my lead so to farm this intial contact out would be a backward step in my opinion.

Cheers

Andy

thanks 1 user thanked Andy14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 22/02/2018(UTC)