Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alun Bevan  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2018 09:35:33(UTC)
Alun Bevan

We had someone slip off the back of a flatbed truck. It is a hiab truck and normally no one needs to climb on them.

It has no edge protection fitted and I have been looking for a retro fit system I could use but cannot seem to find anything. can anyone point me in the right direction.

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2018 10:47:20(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Worth a read:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr1079.pdf

Azza  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2018 14:31:45(UTC)
Azza

Try contacting total access.
thunderchild  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2018 14:49:19(UTC)
thunderchild

Just thinking out loud, if they are not normaly supposed to be on the ruck then why was he? Could you not mitigate that risk and therefore not need them to climb on to the truck? Thus not needing fall protection????

thanks 1 user thanked thunderchild for this useful post.
webstar on 12/03/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2018 23:57:38(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I wonder if the bed of the truck would actually need to be accessed more often than you realise, periodically for cleaning or maintenance or even for recovering items that have fallen off loads. It might be worth checking. (You probably already have, in which case ignore this comment)

There is an option for having an overhead system installed so the person accessing the bed wears a harness and fall arrest lanyard but if they need to do so outside of the yard they will be in the same boat.

Also, it seems more and more that a lot of the big sites will not let trucks on site unless they have fall protection, regardless of whether anyone should bo no the bed or not. 

In any case, if you deem it necessary to retrofit fall protection then you may have some joy by contacting the manufacturer of the truck body. It is my understanding that anything like that has to have type approval before being fitted. (But I could be wrong)

johnwatt  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2018 11:56:01(UTC)
johnwatt

Apologies if I am being pedantic....

Fall arrest is not suitable for a flat bed truck. 

A fall arrest system does not stop the worker from falling but instead reduces the forces of their fall. Such a system could only be used at significant height.

Fall restraint on the other hand is a fixed lanyard that would prevent the worker from reaching the edge and thus falling. Is this what you mean?

Best, John

thanks 1 user thanked johnwatt for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 07/03/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2018 13:34:09(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Exactly right John, I must have been thinking about my neighbor's ex who was just....

mihaibertea  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2018 10:58:00(UTC)
mihaibertea

The risk assessment will surely identify that you need to provide adequate edge protection to your flatbed lorries.

It will be advisable to implement collective measures rather than a fall arrest system and fixed guards if possible (it all depends on what you carry).A quick google search you can find a wide range of systems that will help you with this issue.   

A Brown  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2018 21:07:25(UTC)
A Brown

We are developing an articulating edge protection system for LCV roof racks (veps.co.uk), but there is a possibility of developing a flat bed variant down the line.

(Oh, and to the moderators, I hope this won't be seen as advertising as it is not yet commercially available, but is still a work in progress, and developed by myself, an IOSH member and Ex HSE Construction Division inspector)

Al

Sgallacher27  
#10 Posted : 20 March 2018 22:12:15(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Hi Alun,

In a previous workplace we loaded several flat bed trailers every day. We decided to install a collective fall protection system which ran on wheels/tracks. Essentially, the trailer is parked up and two metal walkways with in built handrails/ladders etc are wheeled in from each side of the trailer and then locked into position. This effectively creates a really wide trailer bed with handrails on each side.

They seemed to work very well, as long as the driver remembered to move them out the way before driving off (which inevitable happened!).

Maybe something like this could help if the loading/unloading is mainly done at your site?

rsherl01  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2018 23:45:27(UTC)
rsherl01

Try http://www.j-safe.co.uk/trailer-guard/ They also have a fall arrest http://www.j-safe.co.uk/trailer-safe/ Hope that helps
damian2701  
#12 Posted : 23 March 2018 10:25:45(UTC)
damian2701

http://www.j-safe.co.uk/trailer-guard/http://www.j-safe.co.uk/trailer-safe/ Once arrived on site, who's responsibility is it to provide and erect this equipment - The Controller of the Premises, the Principal Contractor or the delivery company/driver??

Edited by user 23 March 2018 11:06:18(UTC)  | Reason: Controller of Premises

rsherl01  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2018 20:31:08(UTC)
rsherl01

Apologies only seeing this now. Safety is everyone’s responsibility. The principle contractor must ensure that work is being adequately controlled on their site. And the whoever the persons at risk work for must ensure they have a safe system of work. Not sure what you mean by the Controller of the Premises? In real terms it will be up to the company who’s work activities it is. If that is the contractor or the delivery company I’m not sure . Maybe if you tell me the chain of custody I can help