Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
james fleming  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2018 13:07:14(UTC)
james fleming

Hey Folks apart from Alcmus Sypol can anyone recommend an online COSHH risk assessment platform?  

Malc 61  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2018 14:59:13(UTC)
Malc 61

Try Sevron (https://www.sevron.co.uk/) we've used this software for over 4 years now

thanks 1 user thanked Malc 61 for this useful post.
james fleming on 12/03/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2018 15:01:59(UTC)
Kate

I've seen Sevron COSHH assessments and hated them.  Very lengthy multi-page documents that people kept in folders and that were too long to read, with the crucial information not highlighted.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 12/03/2018(UTC)
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2018 18:46:34(UTC)
chris.packham

For me there are far too many factors that one needs to incorporate into a COSHH risk assessment for it to be done online. It can only be done by observing what is happening when the task is actually being carried out. Firstly you need to identify the real chemical hazard that is present during the task - not what is on the safety data sheet. Then you need to identify the exposure to that hazard. Only then can you assess the risk and severity of consequent damage to health. Just take a look at what the current (6th edition) of the ACoP for COSHH says. I have lost count of the number of employers where I have had to tell them that their on-line risk assessments are not worth the paper they are printed on. 

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 12/03/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2018 19:26:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I've seen Sevron COSHH assessments and hated them.  Very lengthy multi-page documents that people kept in folders and that were too long to read, with the crucial information not highlighted.

This provider IMHO is a very poor resource - five years ago at a previous employment I asked them to remove an incorrect SDS posted by one of their customers and even provided the then current version

Prompted by this post I have checked and note the old one is still present despite its continued non-complaince to the current regulations.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2018 19:26:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

This provider IMHO is a very poor resource - five years ago at a previous employment I asked them to remove an incorrect SDS posted by one of their customers and even provided the then current version

Prompted by this post I have checked and note the old one is still present despite its continued non-complaince to the current regulations.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2018 22:45:32(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I agree with the previous posts and while doing your own assessments can initially be a pain in the proverbial you tend to find most of the chemicals you use remains the same and really smart operators will jump in and complete assessments for new products as soon as they hit the goods in shelf.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/03/2018(UTC)