Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2018 11:53:44(UTC)
thunderchild

Morning, 

Does anyone have a lifting plan for an overhead travelling crane. I have one for a tower crane from my construction days but now need the overhead one.

Any help appreciated.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2018 15:03:08(UTC)
peter gotch

Thunderchild

The lack of any responses suggests that you have asked a Q that is very difficult to answer without a LOT more information.

You need to consider the plant its environment and what it is going to do (or is doing) taking into account e.g. manufacturer's Operations and Maintenance Manual, operator competence etc etc etc.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2018 19:31:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

From other posts I would venture this is a factory environment where the crane has been installed for regular and repetitive lifts of products and/or specific maintenance activity

As you have recognised a construction style lift plan is not appropriate (e.g. should be no windage to consider) the activity is controlled by trained operators repeating tasks based upon an underlying Risk Assessment.

So long as the company is happy with the operators "competence" with their equipment the only issue is to ensure non-authorised personnel e.g. conttactors do not get their hands on the controls.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2018 19:31:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

From other posts I would venture this is a factory environment where the crane has been installed for regular and repetitive lifts of products and/or specific maintenance activity

As you have recognised a construction style lift plan is not appropriate (e.g. should be no windage to consider) the activity is controlled by trained operators repeating tasks based upon an underlying Risk Assessment.

So long as the company is happy with the operators "competence" with their equipment the only issue is to ensure non-authorised personnel e.g. conttactors do not get their hands on the controls.

thunderchild  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:14:05(UTC)
thunderchild

Thanks, yes it is an interal crane.

Its a standard repetative lift so I just wanted the lift plan so it was there. The risk assessment is already completed.

Centurion  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:46:22(UTC)
Centurion

Hi,

If that's the case then a Safe System of Work document including the manufacturer's - supplier's specifics would suffice.

Cheers

Andy

Chachi  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:53:53(UTC)
Chachi

As mentioned, as long as the operators are qualified to operate the crane then there shouldn't be a requirement for a lift plan if its standard /repetitve work.

Centurion  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2018 09:58:27(UTC)
Centurion

Thunderbird

I forgot to mention in my previous response that I do have a basic Ganrty Crane RA - SSOW.

For a copy:- andymccluskey@btinternet.com

Cheers

Andy

Kate  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2018 17:47:50(UTC)
Kate

I've encountered this scenario and I said a safe system of work document was sufficient unless something unusual was being done (like using two overhead cranes together) in which case a specific lift plan would be needed.

chris42  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2018 10:38:54(UTC)
chris42

As others have said, but interesting they comment on a generic one for something like a FLT. Also that it could be incorporated in the normal RA.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/planning-organising-lifting-operations.htm

You may want to be clear in your RA or SOP / SWP where generic stops and complex starts.

Chris