Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lewes  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2018 09:29:33(UTC)
lewes

Hi, vibration isnt one of my levels of expertise so hence my post.

I have an Anglegrinder that has a Vibration K Factor of 1.5 m/sec2 and a Artificial Wheel rating of 13.5 m/sec2. 

What figure should I be using to calculate exposure; the K Factor or the Artificial Wheel??

Thanks for any input

chris42  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2018 10:19:28(UTC)
chris42

Think of K factor as a tolerance ie You have a reading then add or subtract the K factor to give a band where it is. When calculating I always take worst case so I add the k factor to the other number. In your example it could be 12 or 15 m/s2, so I would use 15. Not sure about the term artificial Wheel, I don’t think any wheels are naturally occurring, all man made :o)

Then I would get rid of that grinder as it reaches daily exposure EAV in 13 minutes! And ELV in 53 minutes.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 19/03/2018(UTC)
Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2018 12:40:26(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

When calculating vibration exposure there are other factors you must consider along with the information you have obtained from the wheel/manufacturer, which is just one element of the risk assessment. The following links may prove useful:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/index.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/publications.htm

L140 is the approved code of practice and you can find risk assessment requirements on pages 12 - 17.