Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fairground42  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2018 15:22:46(UTC)
fairground42

Hi,

I have been approached by the Technical Director of our hire company, to review how we do business with our customers. A recent study from our sales team revealed that our customers think we are a "difficult" company to deal with, because of the checksand requirements we ask of our customers, to ensure that the hirers of our lifting equipment are suitably qualified and competent to operate it. We will generally only hire to companies who can provide proof of competence of their operators, for example CPCS or similar recognised card schemes. The reasoning behind this is to enure we have shown due dilligence and a duty of care to our customers. We run a plant training centre alongside our core business and we strongly recommend our customers to make use of the training offered, to ensure they have suitably trained operators. Our customers are telling us that they just want to hire the kit and dont need to be hassled over who is going to operate it, once on hire. Obviously it is ultimately the hirers responsibility to ensure that their own staff are adequately trained, competent etc. but if we were to relax our own company policy on operator checks, I would be interested to know what opinions my fellow forum users have as to our risk exposure would be; for example, if we hired a piece of kit to a customer, then operated by untrained personnel and there is a subsequent incident. Bit of along winded post, so apologies but would appreciate any feedback here.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2018 16:23:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Section 6 of Health and Safety at Work Act describes the general duties of manufacturers etc. (etc would include suppliers like yourselves) as regards articles (ie plant) for use at work.

The expectation is that

1. SFARP it is safe to use, maintain etc ;
  2. The supplier will check that the plant is safe to use.
  3. Provide  the user of the equipment, with all necessary information so that they can use it safely
  4. To make that the information supplied to users is kept upto date  

You have gone above and beyond this and in particular you are covering your backside by making sure that the users have no excuse to come back to you if something goes wrong. You told them how to do it safely and made sure that they understand what is required of them. That means nobody can point a finger at you if they do have an accident.

Job done I think

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 16/03/2018(UTC), fairground42 on 16/03/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2018 16:51:56(UTC)
Charlie Brown

As above, in actual fact as soon as it's off the truck you have no control over who uses it anyway.

In my previous role in the plant hire industry we offered the customer training and familiarisation, the machines all went out with operators manuals and we offered products such as key pads to disable the machines when they were not being used and we offered information about the importance of having trained operators. Whether they took us up on it or not was up to them but they couldn't say we didn't try.

I think that if you insist on seeing evidence of operator competence then yes you would be a bit difficult to deal with from a customer point of view and it is probably costing you hire revenue.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
fairground42 on 16/03/2018(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2018 10:42:50(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Fairground 42

I'm with you

I would love to see more companies going the extra mile as you are. Someone should be commended -or maybe i'ts a company culture thing

It may be that the better companies that you deal with-rather than the short term bean counters, will appreciate the service you are providing and that in the longer term your company will benefit from its good reputation -particularly if a serious accident occurs and your company comes out of it smelling like roses.

I think you should capitalise on your approach

Regards

Mike

Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2018 12:08:19(UTC)
Bigmac1

In my opinion some hire companies do not go far enough.

However:

Its ok to insist on seeing Joe Bloggs CPCS card, but once on site how do you know its nor Josephine Bloggs using the kit? 

fairground42  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2018 14:38:10(UTC)
fairground42

Thanks for the feedback all, will take this into our next managment meeting.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2018 15:11:30(UTC)
chris42

I hired a floor sander for home at the end of last year and the person running through the set up again was not an issue, even though I knew how to use it.

Having to drive back home to have a passport and 2 utility bills and part with my phone number and email address did irritate me no end. (driving licence is old paper type so no picture). Made even worse as I don’t own a passport! That wasted several hours of my days hire! Offered to pay large deposit but no. Surly just recording my car number plate would have been good enough. Probably will work harder with hand tools in future rather than hire, as first hire shop let me down, so I ended up wasting a day.

If you’re a home owner with no driving licence and or passport you would not be able to hire any tools. Crackers!!!

mlacey83  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2018 07:55:53(UTC)
mlacey83

This is a topic I have recently brought up with senior management, regarding MEWPS rather than lifitng equipment though, querying if it would be acceptable to see an IPAF operators licence before hiring the plant out.

It was explained to me the reason our Company doesn't ask for this is because we would more than likely lose customers (when they need a bit of kit in the next morning but the operator won't be on site until then, we would have to delay by a day waiting to see the licence, so they wouldn't get the service they are used to for fast hires)

Our plant goes out PDI'd to ensure it is in good, safe working order and with an operators manual. We also state on our delivery notes that the plant is to be operated by a competant person only and this is understood and signed by the customer before the plant is unloaded.