Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rsherl01  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2018 12:24:41(UTC)
rsherl01

Hi, 

I am currently writing a safety statement for a facilities management company who manage public buildings. I am struggling with some of the wording that i am using in it. Should i be mentioning the patrons/visitors of the buildings? Or should i just write it from an employee point of view. The work the facilities management company carries out directly affects patron safety. 

Any help would be great, 

Regards

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2018 12:47:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you are responsible for public buildings the emphasis should be very much on the safety of the public. The public will be at greater risk than employees because they are less familiar with the building’s features and layout; they are less familiar with your company procedure. Often you will have no idea how they might react during an emergency. So put them at the centre of your H&S policies.  

rsherl01  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2018 12:55:16(UTC)
rsherl01

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

If you are responsible for public buildings the emphasis should be very much on the safety of the public. The public will be at greater risk than employees because they are less familiar with the building’s features and layout; they are less familiar with your company procedure. Often you will have no idea how they might react during an emergency. So put them at the centre of your H&S policies.  

Thanks for your reply. I suppose my query is based around the safety statement part. In my experience these are writted to protect employees. As in towards the H&S at Work legislation. Our procedures are written to protect the public seperately but should the safety statement just highlight the measures we take to protect employees which will in turn protect the public? Its really the wording used I'm getting stuck on. 

Each buildings management plan encorporates H&S. But should the Safety Statement stay employee specific? 

offaman  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2018 13:15:41(UTC)
offaman

rsherl01

My advice is to think about what the overall aim of the organisation you are working for is and try and encapsulate that. The commitment from any organisation managing or owning buildings should be the safety of anyone in and around the building, be they visitor, worker, public, etc.  If the statement sets out clearly the intention and an overview (in a singe side) of the how and who then the detail in the management system would set out the specifics about the what, how and who elements. The relevance the statement has to actual safety will of course depend on the commitment demonstrated by the organisation. Bits of paper don’t keep people safe……………

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2018 15:22:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Note that the Health and Safety at Work Act section 3 deals with duties of employers to non-employees, which includes the public. So if you write a policy statement you must include these responsibilities. The policy statement is in part a reminder to your staff to think about how their actions might affect the public. In some organisations the feeling is the public is a nuisance and they wish the might just disappear but in reality they are often the reason for the organisation’s being there and everybody needs to be reminded that they have to take them into account when planning work activities.

David Bannister  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2018 16:26:43(UTC)
David Bannister

Why is the safety statement being written? Once you have an answer to that question you may be clearer on what you should be saying in it.

Steve e ashton  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2018 17:08:47(UTC)
Steve e ashton

The terminology might suggest the OP may be in Ireland? So different law, and very specific requirements for statement contents....???
thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/03/2018(UTC)
CSteel  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2018 15:52:19(UTC)
CSteel

If the OP is in fact in Ireland, the HSA has a dedicated online tool to help SME's prepare their risk assessments and safety statement.

BeSMART.ie 

Hope this can be of help?