Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlacey83  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2018 11:57:31(UTC)
mlacey83

Our Company has just had an electronic fire alarm system installed and comissioned, there are smoke detectors in the corridors and main offices (first floor) and smoke and heat detectors in the 2 kitchen areas. 

We rent out 2 small offices (ground floor) to another business and they have recently installed cooking facilities (combi oven , and portable stove/hob), however their office doesn't hasn't had any heat or smoke detectors insalled.

Can someone point me in the right direction for our companie's responsibilities regarding that office?

Am I correct to think we should have fitted detectors in there office also, or removed the risk (the cooking facilities). I am struggling to find information to back this up. I may be entirely wrong ofcourse.

Thanks in advance

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2018 12:36:57(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Nobody has to install fire or smoke detectors but based on your fire risk assessment you might decide it is for the best that you do. Look at the guidance to decide if that is the case. Your tenant is responsible for their area and must go through the same process but you both must coordinate your efforts and come up with control messages that work together and provide the same level of protection to everybody.  Am I getting this wrong but I get the impression that your tenants decided to install the microwave etc. without asking you? What does the lease/contract say? Your answer probably lies there.

look at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422175/9449_Offices_and_Shops_v2.pdf

for the official guidance