Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikejman6  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2018 08:33:35(UTC)
mikejman6

Hello everybody,

We had an incident yesterday where a meber of the public passed away in the customer lavatory from a heart attack.

He was reported, by his daughter, to have been in the toilet for a while, so upon opening the door, we found him dead in there. First aid was administered straight away and the paramedics arrived shortly after but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Not sure if this is reportable under RIDDOR as it was not a work related accident.

Your help is much appreciated.

thanks

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2018 09:12:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Unless there is evidence that the person’s death was a consequence of either a work activity or the way the place was being run eg. they slipped on a wet floor and  knocked their head, it is not regarded as work related and therefore not  reportable under RIDDOR.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
mikejman6 on 11/04/2018(UTC), jwk on 17/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2018 10:06:34(UTC)
Kate

I agree, not work related so not RIDDOR.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
mikejman6 on 11/04/2018(UTC)
watcher  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2018 11:52:42(UTC)
watcher

Quite clear cut I think

Not reportable

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2018 12:13:53(UTC)
Hsquared14

No debate here - it wasn't related to a work activity so it IS NOT RIDDOR reportable - This would be the same by the way if one of your employees died of a heart attack on your premises.

Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2018 19:26:06(UTC)
Bigmac1

Nope

Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2018 08:35:46(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

No debate here - it wasn't related to a work activity so it IS NOT RIDDOR reportable - This would be the same by the way if one of your employees died of a heart attack on your premises.

Not so sure about that. 1 of my clients, before I consulted to them by the way. An employyee was operating a lathe and died of a heart attack but when he colapsed he fell into the lathe. And his clothing was caught in the rotating workpiece. Thery had the HSE all over them like a rash and nded up with a prosecution from what I gather. But this was almost 10yrs ago so no official record that I can verify

Kate  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2018 08:49:06(UTC)
Kate

That isn't just a case of dying of a heart attack though, that is also an injury or near miss involving a lathe (even though the injured person may already have been dying).  The prosecution would have been in relation to lathe safety not the heart attack.

Invictus  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2018 09:36:09(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Not so sure about that. 1 of my clients, before I consulted to them by the way. An employyee was operating a lathe and died of a heart attack but when he colapsed he fell into the lathe. And his clothing was caught in the rotating workpiece. Thery had the HSE all over them like a rash and nded up with a prosecution from what I gather. But this was almost 10yrs ago so no official record that I can verify

It's not reportable he was in the Lav, if your employee would of been in the lav it wouldn't be reportable either. Your employee fell into the lathe, they had to make sure he didn't have the heart attack because of this and that he fell into it because he had the heart attack first.
thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/04/2018(UTC)