Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichJ  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2018 08:49:09(UTC)
RichJ

I work on a large biotech site with multiple buildings including labs / plant buildings / manufacturing buildings etc.  Many of these have O2 monitoring in place to identify oxygen depletion as we use a lot of liquid nitrogen.  There are discrepancies across these alarm systems as to which value for Oxygen they alarm at, and hence the area is evacuated.  These range from 18%-19.5% (atmospheric concentration is 20.95%).

Does anyone know what the HSE's recommendations for O2 depletion alarm settings are? I am struggling to find anything concerete.

Thanks

UncleFester  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2018 09:43:48(UTC)
UncleFester

Still nothing concrete, but good research here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr973.pdf

JayPownall  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2018 09:46:10(UTC)
JayPownall

...beaten to it by UncleFester!...

Have a look at the HSE Research Report 973. 'Review of alarm setting for toxic gas and oxygen detectors'.

There's a lot of waffle but some good snippets of industry best practice is quoted within.

Jamie 

Edited by user 29 March 2018 09:47:03(UTC)  | Reason: Beaten to the post!

Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2018 19:36:40(UTC)
Bigmac1

19.5% for confined space, taken from OSHA as we do not have a standard.

Are you sure you havnt got confined spaces?? 

Messey  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2018 07:33:09(UTC)
Messey

We have a hypoxic fire prevention system that runs around 16.4 to 17% O2 with the alarm set at 15%

We restrict the exposure hours to 4hrs - and allow access for rescue down to 13% in extremis

andrewcl  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2018 14:53:31(UTC)
andrewcl

RichJ, I used to do atmosphere tests for confined space entries, and all I really knew was that all the oxygen monitors had a "warning alarm" level at 19.5% oxygen and then a "you need to leave this confined space" alarm at 18%.

Answering your question to the best of my ability, I don't know for sure if there is anything in law, or that the HSE recommend (the confined space lead above may be worth following up), but the first place I thought about looking for info, when I saw your post, was the British Compressed Gases Association (BCGA) website.  They have loads of good info including this guidance note, which includes the alarm levels I mentioned earlier.

http://www.bcga.co.uk/assets/BCGA%20GN%2011%20-%20Revision%204%20-%20For%20Publication.pdf

Hope this is of use

thanks 1 user thanked andrewcl for this useful post.
RichJ on 06/04/2018(UTC)
stevedm  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2018 08:59:34(UTC)
stevedm

There isn't anything set in law...however part of the C&G training syllabus gives O2 Min 19.5% - Max 23.5%..

:)

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2018 06:39:18(UTC)
stevedm

This might help also....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limiting_oxygen_concentration