Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lloy  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2018 15:49:44(UTC)
Lloy

Hi fellow practitioners, can anyone recommend a lone worker device for sedentary workers that can monitor movement, we currently use a system that is monitored by an external alarm receiving centre with voice activation/software so if the lone worker doesn't move from his/her desk within an agreed timeframe someone in the alarm receiving centre can speak to the person and dispatch the emergency services if it is e.g. a suspected stroke. Current supplier is trying to impose some contractual obligations on us that my Procurement Department is not happy with so looking for a replacement. Can anyone help or make a recommendation please?

Thank you

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2018 08:54:10(UTC)
Hsquared14

We have this situation with our security staff at night.  Our security company has a telephone line that they have dedicated to the guards hourly check in call - if the call is more than 10mins late they ring the guard and if they get no answer they contact the police.

nic168  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:42:06(UTC)
nic168

Are they computer based workers? If so there is software you can get that reminds them to take a break from the screen. Part of this break could involve contacting or checking in.

i once worked in a location where the lighting was controlled by motion sensors, if you did not move lights went out. All the guards had to look for was darkened windows.........

Lloy  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2018 12:39:26(UTC)
Lloy

Thanks everyone, apologies for my delayed reply I was away on training.

These things are really hard to find, I'm looking for a device staff can wear on them connected to an alarm receiving centre that dispatch the appropriate emergency service in the event of a suspected stroke etc. We do have 24hour secuirty that patrols the building but want to have something else in place in addition to the patrols. Our staff are office based and they sit for long periods at their computers monitoring data.

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2018 13:10:56(UTC)
HSSnail

Loly

Try an internet search on “Man Down Systems” you will find any number of options. The problem is in the situation you describe you will get loads of false alarms as people are not moving about. Some of these stems can be loaded as apps on phones, and often incorporate a “false alarm” feature where the phone vibrates to alert you to check in with the station, this is often no more than clicking on the icon on the screen. Good luck in finding one that works for you.

nic168  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2018 14:28:07(UTC)
nic168

Loly, try the phone Apps, there are loads out there some link to call centres and are 24/7 others will link back to selected numbers. Coverage and range has improved enourmously over the last few years, so the "black spot problem"  is not as bad as it was.  As Brian says look for one which gives them a buz or vibrates when they need to check in and that will cut down on false alarms.

Surprised you are having difficulty finding suppliers, my new employers have just started to really think about Lone workers and we seem to be getting new suppliers approaching us every week. I am sure there will be section on this at the expo in June and a One day event in October to look forward to. you may be spoilt for choice.