Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Green40245  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2018 21:11:30(UTC)
Green40245

If a substance has a STEL on the sds does that mean it must be assessed/monitored to establish this for sure.

Thanks in advance

Edited by user 24 April 2018 21:12:10(UTC)  | Reason: grammar

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2018 22:32:53(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Like with many h&s issues, it depends!!

Do you think you are breaching the STEL when this hazardous substance is used?

How often do you use it.

Do you have reason to think your other controls aren't working?

Is the STEL for the substance listed in EH/40 workplace exposure list for the substance?

Green40245  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2018 07:50:29(UTC)
Green40245

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Like with many h&s issues, it depends!!

Do you think you are breaching the STEL when this hazardous substance is used?

How often do you use it.

Do you have reason to think your other controls aren't working?

Is the STEL for the substance listed in EH/40 workplace exposure list for the substance?

I have no idea as i would not not no what 15mg per cubic metre would look like

Use: Several times per day

Controls: No not really, well ventilated area

Is it listed? One of the component ingredients is in EH40

Woolf13  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:36:37(UTC)
Woolf13

Those substances deemed as hazardous require a COSHH assessment to be undertaken. The MSDS is the information sheet provided by the manufacturer and the COSHH assessment is your way of determining what controls are required through use and application of that product.

How do you know through the use of that product it is below the LTEL or STEL? The only way to know for certain is to undertake montoring. Please see below useful HSE link:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/exposurelimits.htm

I would advise if you are ensure as to what is needed to contact a suitably competent person to undertake the review of your COSHH items.

I hope this helps?

Green40245  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2018 16:10:54(UTC)
Green40245

Originally Posted by: Woolf13 Go to Quoted Post

Those substances deemed as hazardous require a COSHH assessment to be undertaken. The MSDS is the information sheet provided by the manufacturer and the COSHH assessment is your way of determining what controls are required through use and application of that product.

How do you know through the use of that product it is below the LTEL or STEL? The only way to know for certain is to undertake montoring. Please see below useful HSE link:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/exposurelimits.htm

I would advise if you are ensure as to what is needed to contact a suitably competent person to undertake the review of your COSHH items.

I hope this helps?

Yes i know and understand that thankyou, the STEL has been picked up from the SDS sheet and refers to an ingredient in the this pretty innocuos substance, diluted sanitiser. My question was regarding if a substance has an STEL for an igredient such as this should we monitor my gut feeling is yes but I have a feeling it is going to be almost undetectable. I just wondered what others thought as I have asked several of my consultant colleagues and have had very differing answers
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2018 09:41:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Ok you have this product which comes with an SDS which lists a component to that product with a STEL.  What you must do is assess the risk to your staff from this product when they use it, however they use it.  The question is does the product as used by you employees, pose an airborne risk via inhalation. If you cannot see any sort of airborne risk then you do not need to do any monitoring.  If there is an airborne risk then you must decide if it is likely that when using this product in the location where you might be using it (so for example if you are using it out doors then it is unlikely that you will reach the STEL but if you are using it indoors in a place with limited ventilation you might exceed the STEL) then you must take measure to protect your staff. Personally if it is obvious that you have exceeded the STEL I just apply the controls and don’t bother with monitoring but if  you have to rely on RPE for example and you are not sure if you have breached the STEL then I would get someone in to do the monitoring.

Before you do any monitoring you need to have evidence that that the STEL is likely to be exceeded or evidence such as worker ill health that it has been exceeded.  In the past I have commissioned monitoring in borderline cases and in each time the STEL was not exceeded.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 26/04/2018(UTC), Green40245 on 26/04/2018(UTC)