Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lynne  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2018 07:10:30(UTC)
Lynne

Hi to everyone

A question regarding the accident book form and the details which are put on it.

I understand the need to have the IP's address as this is required if the incident is RIDDOR reportable, but is there a need to have the home address of the person completing the form.

Also is it acceptable under the regulations to use a form which has been created internally and printed out on a local printer.

Just trying to make life easier for myself and the departmental managers.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lynne

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2018 08:39:40(UTC)
Hsquared14

So long as all the information needed to satisfy the legal requirement is collected then it is OK to use an internally generated form.  You have to collect as a minimum the information detailed in the official BI510 accident book.  There is however no requirement to record the home address of the person completing the form.

johnmurray  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2018 19:22:31(UTC)
johnmurray

As long as the information is kept secure and only authorised people can view it..in the case of safety reps, you will have to ask the employee IF he/she wants the rep/s to have access to his/her personal information...if he/she does not, then you will need separate pages..

And then there is the GDPR.....

The GDPR requires companies to provide a reasonable level of protection for personal data. The processing of that data must be carried out in a manner that is lawful, fair and transparent and only for specified explicit and legitimate purposes. For the purposes of the Regulation, processing means any operations that are performed on personal data whether or not by automated means, such as collection/recording/organisation/structuring/storage. Personal data includes that included in employee and non-employee records such as name/job title/home address/email/phone

chris42  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2018 08:13:42(UTC)
chris42

The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979

SCHEDULE 4

PARTICULARS TO BE GIVEN OF ACCIDENTS

(1) Full name, address and occupation of injured person;

(2) Date and time of accident;

(3) Place where accident happened;

(4) Cause and nature of injury;

(5) Name, address and occupation of person giving the notice, if other than the injured person.

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/05/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2018 08:33:14(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979

SCHEDULE 4

PARTICULARS TO BE GIVEN OF ACCIDENTS

(1) Full name, address and occupation of injured person;

(2) Date and time of accident;

(3) Place where accident happened;

(4) Cause and nature of injury;

(5) Name, address and occupation of person giving the notice, if other than the injured person.

Thanks Chris - I didn't have the information to hand when I did my post, I have to say I thought the requirement for the address of the person making the report had been removed and jut the name and occupation was needed.  But then I am old and the memory is not so good these days!!

chris42  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2018 08:54:39(UTC)
chris42

Yes, I wasn’t completely sure until I double checked. Schedules 1 to 3 and 5 seem to be revoked but I think Schedule 4 stands.

I always thought that the requirement for the address was to help confirm the IP as being the person in question when it comes to any social security payment ( it’s a wonder they don’t require NI number and inside leg measurement). We do have some employees with the same name! I also thought it was so that the HSE could contact the individuals outside of work to ask questions. But I have no idea where I got these notions from.

I’m generally lucky if they fill out ½ the form or even tell me within a few months of the occurrence. Something I’m working on, but most definitely not there yet

Chris

lorna  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2018 09:07:55(UTC)
lorna

I let employees put their address as c/o workplace - on the understanding that if it's needed by the HSE or insurance company, we'll ask for it then.It's never been a problem.

Hsquared14  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2018 09:52:50(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

I let employees put their address as c/o workplace - on the understanding that if it's needed by the HSE or insurance company, we'll ask for it then.It's never been a problem.

That's a reasonably pragmatic approach but I can see one drawback in that if the employee leaves before anyone outside the organisation asks for it then there could be a disclosure issue, or am I overthinking it?
lorna  
#9 Posted : 14 May 2018 12:22:33(UTC)
lorna

We had one case where the employee had left but I included my letter in with paperwork from HR. If it's a serious incident that I think might go further, I'll have the address in my (password protected) initial investigation report - just not on the accidnet form that other people could see.

Invictus  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2018 14:13:16(UTC)
Invictus

HR keep records of addresses for employees and even if tey leave employment they do not delete them that day they are put in storage etc. I only put 'CO and the company name and HSE have never complained about it.