Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Potter21118  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2018 11:33:25(UTC)
Potter21118

Would there be anyone who is willing to share a copy of their audit questions for a theatre and foyer. 

One of the buildings owned by my employer is a working theatre with regular events running and I would like to audit their safety management systems.

While I have a reasonable idea with regards to what is required such as fire, W@H, LOLER, workshop/scenery, etc., would anyone have template questions or headline topics they would be willing to share to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thank you

Philip

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2018 13:28:33(UTC)
Ian Bell2

You will learn more and get a better audit list by developing your own. Go through all of the common applicable h&s legislation and generate questions relevant to each subject, using the regulations and topics discussed in HSE booklets etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/05/2018(UTC)
lorna  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2018 13:54:42(UTC)
lorna

Think about how it is used. Don't forget the weird & wonderful - pyrotehcnics, scenery changing & will the ceiling/beams take the weight of the hoops that the burlesque artistes are going to swing from??

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
grim72  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2018 14:11:13(UTC)
grim72

Bear in mind Noise at Wrok too - has been in the news over recent months relating to the entertainment industry.

I assume you've seen the link to Theatres on the HSE site: http://www.hse.gov.uk/entertainment/theatre-tv/theatre.htm

There is also a useful fire safety manual for theatres available here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/estates/maintenance/fire/documents/Theatres_&_Cinemas.pdf 

Another useful one here: http://www.actsafe.ca/wp-content/uploads/resources/pdf/Theatre.pdf 

thanks 1 user thanked grim72 for this useful post.
chas  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2018 14:30:25(UTC)
chas

You don't say how old the theatre is, however, if it is old you might need to enquire about the stability of the ceiling plaster (serch for Apollo Theatre ceiling collapse, London 2013/14). At the same time you need to ask about asbestos and how it is managed.

In terms of fire I am acutely aware of how easy it is for fires to start in theatres and on that note you should take a careful look at where the theatre stage lights are placed. Think about the presence of any combustible materials near to the lights and think about what might happen if a light unit was accidently turned or nocked out of place without any one realising the potential consequences. I know of one theartre fire that was started this way. Fortunately the fire retardency of the scenery fabric limited the spread of the fire, but the smoke was well and truly overpowering!   

thanks 1 user thanked chas for this useful post.
Steve e ashton  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2018 08:00:16(UTC)
Steve e ashton

One of my steepest learning curves was getting my head around the electrics... Don't automatically condemn ancient looking 5- and 15amp round pin sockets! I grew up with these but thought they had died out. Do make sure that any extension cables are up to the job. Modern 13 amp cable will be a problem if connected to a 15amp supply etc...
DaveDowan  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2018 08:34:04(UTC)
DaveDowan

This May help 

https://www.equity.org.uk/resource-centre/for-employers/health-and-safety

kmason83  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2018 13:07:56(UTC)
kmason83

The ABTT has a set og guidnece for theatre spaces and how helath and safety applies, you will find however that most of this guidenec only refelcts what is written in teh various ACOPS and guindenec form the HSE. The law applies teh same in theater/entertainment venues as it does anywhere. As is suggested above look at the way the space is used and apply audit against all standard H&S catagories. If you are struiggling with where to start or who to start feel fre to PM with specific issues this is an area of heavy experiance from both sides of teh fence.